Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,100 Posts1,056,170 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 | I'm trying to find out if the lights that are on the top of my cab are stock or not - It's hard to tell from the install - and as is they're connected to the instrument dimmer control. http://picasaweb.google.com/wmhatfield/MyUnnamedToyProject#5512500344262887186I see some trucks with them but spaced closer together... Anyone? | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | not at all stock nor conforming to legal requirements [check for Ontario code] - on certain trucks [height and width] there should be 3 lights spaced about 2" apart in the center [marker or identification lights] and one light on each corner [clearance lights] ... not required on light trucks like yours, but should be hooked to the park/head light circuit if used
Bill | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 | Thanks Bill,
I only have to comply to safety rules as they were in 1949 (according to Ontario rules anyway). I THINK you are implying the same thing.
Regardless I want the truck to look as close to stock as possible so they're coming off!
Mark | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | yes, the lights are so others can tell what they're facing on a dark foggy night, the general pattern hasn't changed since the beginning .... I know about the 'grandfathering', I have a 47 bus and have the front corner clearance lights green cuz they came that way .... it does look like your outside lights are green [?], and the style of them is period correct, so don't chuck them [even if rough] as someone may be able to use them! OTOH, if you could find 2 more yellow ones the same style to add in the middle, you could say they were dealer applied options to comply with regs  Bill | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 32 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 32 | My dad's friend has a 1948 Chevy Loadmaster 6100 2 ton that has very similar lights. I've seen a few others around like that. I don't have anything to back it up but I believe the number of lights may have been related to the width of the truck. A bit of research will probably show this was correct when it was new. I'm sure they wouldn't have been connected to the IP dimmer though! | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 544 | If you desire to keep them, I have a pair that I could get to you if you wanted to change them to amber. The are glass with chrome guards. Came off a 48 6100.
I've been debating putting some on my one ton dually. I may change the cab out from the 6100 as its in a little better shape. It still has the holes from the lights.
Definitely need to be wired into the park lights. I know in the states, it was 3 cab lights, one center, one on each side, back then. Today its 3 in the center, one on each side.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 | Hi Aggie_jon,
Amber would look better for sure - what condition is the chrome guard?
Mark | | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 8 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2007 Posts: 8 | My 1953 3800 has the same cab lights. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 | Same colors too Johnny50? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 544 | Hi Aggie_jon,
Amber would look better for sure - what condition is the chrome guard?
Mark Not the best. On a scale of 1-10, prolly a 5/6. Some pitting, some scratches, a few are kinda bent. I think I have 5 in the box. was sorting through trying to make a set for my truck. I'd be lying if I didn't tell you I would send you the bottom pair. But, I'd also make the price right to reflect their quality. For a driver it would be ok. I'm on the road for work, send me a PM tomorrow and I'll try to find the box on my shelf and snap a few pics. | | |
| |