The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gdads51, 1 invisible), 96 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,076
Posts1,056,280
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
I just picked up a 261 to put into my 50 3800.
I have a couple question that are simple, I'm just not familiar with this engine... I will e soon though! thumbs_up
First- it came with the bell-housing in place. Can I hang the engine on heavy duty engine stand from the bell-housing? Or should I drop the bell-housing and go directly to the block?
Second- are there any specs I should e looking for before I see if it will fire up? like compression, oil pressure etc.
Third-Oil lines... where and how are they supposed to be routed there is a filter on the manifold but the lines are not connected. ohwell

I can see that it is missing a freeze plug, which looks to have rusted out. I was planning on seeing if it will run or not before make any decisions on building it. The 216 I have now seems ok, but I don't know how it was maintained at all.
Is there someone or someplace I can read about this motor and the ins and outs of building it. I have some experience building high output 5 cylinder turbo motors...
Thanks for the help!

Jeremy


1950 Chevy 3800 1-Ton Long Bed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

Sold all the bikes, leaving California behind.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

What year 261 engine? The oil filter systems differs for 54-57 and 58-63.

Here are locations of casting codes on a 1960 261 engine (painted the Alpin Green color common to most years that 261s were built.

Here is a good history of the 261 (compliments of Jim Carter).

Here is the classic article on Soupin Up a 261 (1955 Hot Rod Magazine).

Here is Chevrolet article, introducing the 1954 261.

I would not hang any 216/235/261 at the clutch housing on any engine stand - the resultant front-heavy length would scare me. If you do it, be sure you have a 2,000 lb engine stand (for greater stability). Most likely, you are going to have to remove the clutch housing (and most likely the clutch assembly) anyway, if you are going to use this 261 in a pre-54 truck.

Other people will most likely give good advice on how to start an engine that has been sitting. I'd drain and change the oil and replace the oil filter (if you have a 58-63 engine that had an oil filter you MUST have the oil filter system in place (you have a full-flow oil filter). Post a picture of your oil filter and we can identify it (the year of your engine will identify it, also). I'd put in all new ignition parts (points, plug, condenser, distributor cap, rotor, and ignition (plug) wires).

I'd suirt something like WD-40 down the spark plug holes and let is soak 24-hrs. Then I'd try to rotate the engine.

Other people will (hopefully) post suggestions regarding the carburetor and fuel delivery for a start-up test.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
Tim-
its a 54 261. SO it has the by pass oil filter system. I was reading up on making it a full pressure system, but was saving that for when I do the entire engine rebuild.
I will post the numbers when I get back from storage. I am in the midst of moving. I just need to know if I can hang this motor from the bell-housing or not first. I'm not familiar with this removeable bell-housing system.... lol.

Jeremy


1950 Chevy 3800 1-Ton Long Bed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

Sold all the bikes, leaving California behind.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
OK
the numbers are: <drumroll> grin

block: 3733950 they are in front of the fuel pump

head:3836850 gm5 con9 b28 (all on top of the head)
on the side of the head are the numbers b59 848/850

ummm how does this ell-housing come off? there looks to be cap bolts underneath between the pan and the fly wheel. do these come off?...
wait I have a manual.... duh dang

Jeremy
bakin' in the sun


1950 Chevy 3800 1-Ton Long Bed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

Sold all the bikes, leaving California behind.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
An update:
I tore off the intake/exhaust manifold and found that a mudwasp had made a nest in the central intake port!
Off comes the head.... and I discovered that the Intake valves on the #1 and#6 cylinder have made contact with the pistons. Not fractured piston contact, though there is a slight indent. Weird that these two would have the only marks.
Took off the pan and dropped all the pistons out +.40. Wow these are sort of stone age tech.
The crank journals have some marks that I can feel. guess the motor is getting a complete going through after all.
I saw a tip on making the 261 a full pressure oiler... now I can't find it! Does anyone make aluminum gears for these now?

Jeremy


1950 Chevy 3800 1-Ton Long Bed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

Sold all the bikes, leaving California behind.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/full_pressure.htm

Tech-Tips can be found by clicking "Tech_Tips" which is at the top of every page. Then select a category; or, scroll down the page.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
Thanks... I knew it was there....Just didn't see it. I swear I looked!

Jeremy


1950 Chevy 3800 1-Ton Long Bed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

Sold all the bikes, leaving California behind.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0