The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
13 members (Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, TUTS 59, Jon G, Joe H, HandyAndy, greenie-reddy, Simso, 1955 1 Series, Southerntruck, Gib70, 3B, 1 invisible), 123 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,103
Posts1,056,183
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#677945 09/16/2010 2:04 AM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Thanks to all the good info found in the forum, I'm now ready to drop the engine and tranny in the 52 3600. I have the front clip off and am wondering if I mount the transmission now, am I going to be able to slide the whole unit in or will the crossmember prohibit this. I have fears of getting it in and having to corkscrew it to make it happen.
Thanks,
Tim

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
Y
'Bolter
'Bolter
Y Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
What I've learned. No it won't clear the crossmember/cab floor. So seperate engine and tranny, or raise cab.

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
Just take the crossmenber down.Put engine and tranny in truck.together Jack up tranny and put tranny cross menber back in place.No problem Tim.The front clip off,there should be no problem.


dan-pa
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Don't know what engine or trans your talking about Tim, but if it's the stock six and four speed, no, you can't slide it in together. http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/128491011 And the cross member on a 3600 is riveted in and does not come out. http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/128491013 Mount your engine and then hang the trans from it.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Thanks for the replys, I know what not to do.
On another item... The 235 I had rebuilt has a balancer with a V-belt, and a water pump & generator with 3/8" pulleys. None of the three line up with the other. The generator is easy enough to adjust and there is a homemade spacer on the fan pulley.
Question: Should I search for a balancer from a 216 to replace this v-belt one? If so, will it likely have a 3/8" pulley that is further out from the block?

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
If I understand you correctly, this 235 is 55 or newer. I am saying that because of the "homemade spacer". You may have problems fitting the rad in with the fan. I would suggest looking at a waterpump adapter plate and using the old style pump.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0