Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
106
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,292 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 91 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 91 | Can I make the vac. advance line out of brake line ? Are the brakeline fittings the right threads? Thanks | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Yep on the 3/16" steel brake line and yep at one end, the end that goes into the stock carb base is a compression fitting. Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Thought they were smaller than 3/16", or it is just because the 5/16" fuel line beside it makes the vacuum line look small?
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | 1/8" for the mechanical "sender" line to the oil pressure gauge. (the vacuum-advance line has a larger diameter).
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Could the vacuum advance line be 5/32" or is it truly 3/16" as Denny said it is? I should go measure mine but won't be able to till Monday.. I only ask because looking at the picture in my mind I see 3/16" as being to large, and I have a fairly well calibrated eyeball...
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 | Every one I can remember replacing was done by using regular 3/16" steel brake line. There's an oddball fitting on one end of some of them, the one-time use compression fitting with the tapered end that grips the steel line. Ford used a similar fitting on the ends of 1/4" fuel lines, IIRC. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 506 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 506 |
-Tom
1950 Chevy 3100 w/ 1956 235
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 91 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 91 | This is Elmer here; I bought the fittings that would go on the 3/16 brake line. The one that goes on the vac. advance fits right but the one that goes on the carb does not seem right, and I Don't want to force it to mayby strip the threads. They look right but if someone said they used the fitting from the brake line there I would try it. What do you think?? Thanks | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Measured several at a truck show this weekend, 3/16" it is. Sorry for the confusion and not being trusting.
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 374 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 374 | The end at the carb has a compression fitting (as Hotrod Lincoln stated above) on mine (Carter W1 carb). You can buy one at NAPA.
Last edited by Big Tee; 09/13/2010 1:28 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 91 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 91 | Yeh; The compression fitting on the carb end makes sense now. Thanks for all the good feedback, I don't know what I would do without you guys. I'm sure I'll be calling on you again in the future so thanks again. | | |
| |