The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Eileen, Mike'sPlace, Maybellene, Uncles51, 1 invisible), 91 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,296
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 29
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 29
Finally back to working on my 52 3/4ton, trying to stay close to original. King pins were shot so a purchased a kit to rebuild them and found out the axle was worn also and no one makes a 10 over kit any more. So was wondering what other axles might work. Was also wondering about an upgrade to the brakes but was told there are no options for my truck (1/2 ton axle wont fit and disc kits only fit 1/2 ton, I was hopeful that the caliper braket would fit since I have some 12"x1-1/4 rotors of a 78 3/4 ton van that look like the would work)

was also told I should have never bought the truck which kind of surprised me coming from someone who specializes in selling parts for these old trucks


Too Many Projects, not enough time
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
A 1/2 ton axle will fit your truck fine. You will have to use 1/2" dia. u-bolts rather than the 9/16" u-bolts that are on your 3/4 ton now.

You can also upgrade your stock front brakes by going with a Bendix setup from a '53 to '59 3/4 or one ton truck.



Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 29
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 29
Thanks, I was thinking the 1/2 ton axle would fit but when I was told that it would not by someone that knows more than me... kinda made me fell bad. Feel better now, more options smile


Too Many Projects, not enough time
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 610
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 610
I will confirm, a 1/2 ton axle WILL fit your 52 3/4 ton truck with no problems. I have first hand knowledge as I personally did it to my 52 3/4 ton truck. As stated by ghostrider you will need the 1/2" diamter u-bolts.

Doing this allowed me to install a 5 lug disc brake kit as well as a power steering kit with no problems.

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Originally Posted by kstechtom
was also told I should have never bought the truck which kind of surprised me coming from someone who specializes in selling parts for these old trucks
Was this some customer service phone rep or the owner of the company? I don't currently own a 3/4-ton but have several of the 1-ton trucks and love them.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 29
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 29
I really dont want to bash anyone So I'll just let it pass for now, Mainly just wanted to point out how "what" someone says can bring the other down. I'll repay the favor by not buying from them for now, but relize I may have just caught him on a bad day or he was kinda busy (one other person in the store, but he did ask what I needed...) So I'll forgive and forget eventually. Worst part is I went in there to buy what it would take to make my truck brakes work based on what he said (Either the parts to make the original style brakes work or the parts to make the 57 donor brakes work on my truck (already have the axle off a 57) so He saved me $200+ that I'll spend at the Midwest Truck Nationals:)


Too Many Projects, not enough time
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 29
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 29
Oh and on the driving of a 3/4 ton truck, I've only driven mine around the block a couple of times but still enjoyed every moment of it. From the relization that 1st gear (in a 4-speed) is so low that it will move the truck with great ease even if you left blocks in front of the tires (oops), or the thumbs up you get from neighbors as you drive by, to the purr of that old 216 inline six, or the total strangers that come up to you in a parking lot wanting to talk about the truck and the plans you have for it.


Too Many Projects, not enough time
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
That's the spirit.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
This is my third AD 3/4-ton and I love 'em. Some of the parts, particularly brakes are getting harder to find compared to 1/2-ton stuff. But there are still lots of stuff available over the counter at your FLAPS. I too love it when people want to talk trucks, ask questions or just wave or give a thumbs up. Enjoy! wink


Professional Novice

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0