Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (Jon G, DadsFirstPickup, dt235sd, TUTS 59, RLB, Otto Skorzeny, 52Carl),
166
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,130 Posts1,056,714 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 6 | I have a 50 Chev Truck 3100, 216, 6 volt, all original (and it looks it). It has been running fine for the last 3 years. Suddenly, she died on me while driving. So, I did what every old truck owner does - changed the fuel pump, changed the fuel filter, checked out the fuel lines, drained the junk from the bottom of the tank, thinking it had to be fuel related. When I was all done with this work, I shot a little starting fluid in the carb, and she popped right off, ran for about 4 minutes, and died. Further review showed that I had no spark at the plugs, and no spark out of the coil. So, bought a new coil. Still no spark. I ran a wire from the battery + to the coil +, still no spark. The wires / leads to the dist (+ and -) check out fine. I'm stumped. The points are clean and gapped fine - not that it matters,,,,nothing is getting to them. There is a radio, but I've disconnected it for all of this troubleshooting (I also checked the ignition switch while I was under the dash - it checks out OK). Could be the condensor I guess - doubt if that's my problem because there's no juice getting that far for now, but, can I check that with a meter? I'm really thinking that the new coil must be bad, but when I bench test it (yes, out of the vehicle) the ohms readings are right on. Any ideas from anyone with more expertise than me are greatly appreciated !! | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 65 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 65 | Probably not it, but could low battery voltage be the problem? I had a bad generator on the old Galaxie, and had similar symptoms. All I can think of that you haven't already checked. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 6 | Well, I checked the battery (new about 6 weeks ago), and it seems fine with the volt meter. I also put it on the battery charger, and it dropped to 2 amps in about an hour, so I think it's ok ??!!??
I also checked the ground connection to the frame (new grounding strap last year) and there appears to be no shorts. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 394 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 394 | would start out by just cleaning all the wires from coil over to dist. take the cab off and check the wires inside to make sure that they are not grounding out, had the problem on the 50, the wire to the points was grounding out, like you said you did a hot wire to the coil, but the dist. needs to complete part of the circuit, just my thoughts. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 6 | Thanks. I'll double check that first thing on the morning. I did check the insulator post on the dist where the voltage runs through, and it checked out OK, with no grounding / shorting to the dist and common ground. I'll check it again just to be sure ! Can a condensor short out and cause this problem ? No visible burns / damage on the condensor. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 394 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 394 | a bad condensor can do a lot of different weird things, the man with the real knowledge should chime in later, | | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 6 | I'll be watching. As you can tell, I'm willing to listed to any comments or tips. Never hit the wall like this on this seemingly simple electrical system, and I guess I've sort of overlooked the condensor. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 400 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 400 | Same thing happened to a friends '37, turns out to be the condenser.
Last edited by PapaJ; 08/28/2010 6:51 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 6 | I'm heading out to the parts store for points and a condensor. I'll let you know if any of these new parts are fixing the problem. I'll replace the condensor 1st to see if that little devil was the culprit all along. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 6 | New condensor made no difference. However, new points (old ones looked OK) fixed the problem. Should have started there. Oh well, color me stupid,,,,,and happy. She runs real nice now ! | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 65 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 65 | Great News! Thanks for following up with us! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,838 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,838 | There's a quick check for dirty points. Connect a test light between the distributor primary terminal at the coil and ground. As the points open and close, the light should flash on and off. Dirty points that aren't conducting will make the light stay on all the time. A short on the distributor side of the coil, grounded primary wire or condenser lead, etc. will keep the light off, points open or closed. Either way, the result will be no spark. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
| |