The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (FAST55, Phak1, Gib70, DadsFirstPickup, Bill Hanlon), 135 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 18
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 18
I had my 54 235 engine completly overhauled by a machine shop. When I first got it home I noticed it had a oil leak, I placed some heavy cardboard under it to soak up the oil. I have now put 269 miles on it and have added 2 1/2 qts. of oil to make it to the full mark. Did they forget the rear main oil seal? I drove it about 40 miles to a car show yesterday, checked the oil, was at the add mark. I noticed when I backed it up to the curb at the show there were oil drips about every foot plus a big spot on the street when we left. I haven't talked to the shop about it yet. Any advice??

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I would take it back and show them. You can't live with a leak that large.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
Here's something that happened to me after I had my engine rebuilt by and experienced builder: our engines have alignment pins on the crank shaft to correctly align the flywheel on the crank. The holes those pins go into go all the way through the crank flange into the inside of the engine. I had two pins missing and I was losing oil on the garage floor bad. I was convinced it was the rear main. I changed the rear main out with the engine in the truck. It did no good until an older gentleman mechanic told me what it was. I dropped the pan, again, got some pins, pounded them in and that was it.
Check for those pins.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Did he use a neoprene seal? 1954 235s still used shims on the mains. Some people try to use the later neoprene seal on these engines with limited success as the shims hold the ends of the seals apart, this creates a path for the oil. The seal groove in the block and cap is also deeper so the seal is not held tight to the crank. I would always use a rope seal on these engines.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
As I mentioned in the above post, I also pulled a seal out of the engine that the rebuilder had put in. It was a neopreme seal and I replaced it with a rope seal. I agree with Pre '68 Dave, the rope seals do a better job in these engines, but I knew after I replaced the seal, I had other problems because the oil never slowed down with a new seal until I discovered the missing pins.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
A missing flywheel bolt will do the same thing, as I discovered shortly after buying my 59 3800 dually. It cost me a clutch in pretty short order, and while changing it, I discovered the missing bolt. The PO had cross-threaded the bolt during reassembly after an out-of-frame rebuild, and just discarded that one. I was able to re-tap the hole in the crank flange and replace the bolt, stopping the oil leak.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
Good point, Jerry. Just like the alignment pin, an open hole is a direct hole to all the oil in the pan. And, yes, it will necessitate a new clutch and allot of oil to clean up.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 18
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 18
Update on leak, they pulled the engine and found the seal was bad. Replaced & sofar OK. Also found a pin hole in the pan.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I am glad they fixed it for you. As a comment, seals don't come bad out of the package, at least I haven't heard of it.

Last edited by truckernix; 09/16/2010 3:01 AM.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 74
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 74
Thanks for the tips guys,

I found a good deal today on refreshed 235 today. The guy I bought it from says it has about 5,000 miles on it. It looks clean. It has an new fuel pump, Carb, and water pump. He also gave me a couple of lightly used clutches. Said its a 235 out of a 54. Full Pressure engine. I will post some pictures tomorrow. If anyone can give me some tips on what will need to be changed to make it fit, I would greatly appreciate it.

DG


1946 Chevy Stylemaster Sedan - 216 6 Cylinder
1971 Chevelle SS
1995 Monte Carlo Z34
2005 Corvette Z51

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0