Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,106 Posts1,056,211 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 149 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 149 | I have a chevy 350 in my 58 Apache. After driving for 10 minutes, the engine randomly shuts off. I try and start it but can't. The starter cranks the motor freely and when the gas pedal is pressed, gas does indeed shoot into the intake.
I have fuel. I do not have combustion issues becuase it runs fine for the first 10 minutes. I have spark.
After waiting 25 minutes, the motor usually fires up. I live in a high altitude location in Idaho.
Conclusion: Vapor lock or possible carb issue? Need help on this one.... | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | Vapor lock is caused by the gas boiling en-route to the carburetor creating a situation which starves the engine of fuel. If you are getting good gas when it's hot then you likely have a problem in the ignition. Points, Condenser, or coil. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 149 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 149 | What do you mean "good gas"? The engine is getting gas, but there is some rust in the gas. My filter proves that, it clogs it all the time.
Could this be the culprit?
I just went through all the electrical recently including rotor,cap, curve kit, module,and plugs. BUT I haven't changed the coil. Could it be the coil? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 549 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 549 | What do you mean "good gas"? The engine is getting gas, but there is some rust in the gas. My filter proves that, it clogs it all the time. That's where I'd place my bet. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | Good gas is clean and with 5-7 lbs pressure. Think of a snow-globe. if it is sitting on a shelf idle it appears to have clear clean liquid in it. shake it up and stuff floats all over the place. Introduce all that floating matter into a running engine and I'm surprised you got out of the driveway.  | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 149 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 149 | I guess it could be the rust in the gas tank, but that sure seems odd.
The truck always start when the motor is cool. I run it for 10 minutes and the idle is fine, everything is fine. Then, it just randomly dies. If I check the carb at this point, it still shoots gas into the engine just fine. With gas in the motor, it should start up regardless of a little rust. I'm starting to think it must be the coil. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | could be something like the coil, but considering you've seen the filter plug, might clean the carb inlet screen if it has one [should] and try popping the top of the carb to see how much sediment is in the bottom of the bowl - a "little rust" can cause "little spaces" to plug up when things vibrate for awhile, as in a few minutes of running with the attendant fuel flow agitation, the fact that the accelerator pump works doesn't mean jets aren't plugging up
Bill | | |
| |