The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hotrod Lincoln, 1946chevytruck, 55shaker, 78buckshot, dt235sd), 119 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,661
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#669271 08/10/2010 4:19 PM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 96
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 96
Hi Folks,
I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and maybe knows how to fix it.
The rear right corner of my hood doesn't go all the way down when I close the hood. The driver's side is perfect but the pass. side sticks up about an inch. I can easily push it down and into place but when I re open the hood I can feel something shift so that when I close it, it sticks up again.
I put new springs in the hinges because the hood wouldn't stay up but the problem was there before I changed the springs. Also, I can't see any signs of relative movement of any parts in the hinge area.
Many Thanks

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
hey sepp, that's pretty common and it's the hinges themselves, the pivot pins get a bit worn and the springs move them around in the holes ... you might not be able to spot the movement messing with the hinges by hand, but those springs exert a lot of force, in different directions depending on position of the hood - try the hood without the springs and you'll find it works fine and sits flat when closed, add the springs and it goes snakey .... just need new hinges to go with those new springs

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 96
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 96
Thanks Squeeze!
I'll try changing the hinges coming winter.
Will have lots of time to get it right.

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 179
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 179
Hey Sepp,i had the same problem on my 57.I did the same as you.Repaced the hinges also,and the hood closed perfectly.
Roy

Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 96
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 96
Thanks for the help.
Had a good long look at the hood hinges,today. Anybody out there have any thoughts on how to support the hood when changing out the hinges?
I was thinking of removing the springs and then exchanging the hinges one side at a time.
If I support the hood with a large - hard foam rubber "pillow" out of center towards the side where I am exchanging the hinge, will that work? I want to take the load off of the other side and prevent the hood from sliding down and damaging the cowl/windshield area and maybe damaging the hood at the other hinge.
Many thanks for your thoughts.

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 64
0
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
0 Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 64
I would get a friend to help remove the hood and make the job easy on yourself. Scribe the hinge location on the cowl/fender and the hood, then remove the hood and change the hinges.

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
sepp - if you don't have some one to help you lift the hood right off as 00 suggests [the best way], you could do as you describe - make sure you have a prop firmly seated at the latch end to prevent any movement

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0