The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (cmayna, Gdads51, Ridgeback, TrknGMC, TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 140 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,370
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
I just recently got a set of used front drums for my 1953 3/4 Chevy that are in much better shape than mine. My drums are attached to the hubs with two flathead screws. I've used multiple applications of PB Blaster, tap, tap, tap, more Blaster, more tapping (more like banging now) and I can't get any of the four screws loose.

Got two quick questions. These screws aren't reverse threaded, are they (I'd hate to think I've been tightening them all this time)? If I ultimately have to drill them out, are the screws readily available?

Thanks


Jeff Nelson

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
I think this would be the perfect aplication for an Impact screw drive.


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 30
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 30
Jeff, I had the same problem as you. I did the same things you did but ended up heating up the drum around the screw with a propane torch to finally get them to budge. It still took a BFH and a lot of elbow grease.


Deaner
1950 Chevy 3600 Stake Bed

I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense being late!
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Jeff,
I had a similar problem with the large screws that hold the front plate to the engine, underneath the timing gear. After advice, I used a large dull slot screwdriver and tapped it with a hammer on the outside half of the slot. It really worked. I had tried various arrangments with high torque screwdivers etc. and nothing else worked. My screw heads had been staked at the factory.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
Thanks folks, all good suggestions to try. So does anyone know, if I do bugger the screws completely would they be a relatively easy item to find in a good hardware store or would I be up a creek?


Jeff Nelson

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
They're not easy to find an exact replacement. You can get that screw in a socket head cap screw, though. Best way to get them out is with a proper size bit (one that fills the slot) and use an impact hammer.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
Have you tried tightening them first???
(that was the last direction they moved)
The hand held impact driver (the type hit with a hammer) works pretty well if you have the large bit.


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 16
L
Lee Offline
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 16
I ground by oversived screwdriver down so it would fit perfectly in the screw slot. Both in width and length. Came out fairly easy afterwards. Using a undersized the driver will not work.


55.1 3800
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 139
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 139
Jeff, the wheel studs are through the brake drum, right. I'd say you could do with out screws if you have to. Keep soaking it and let it set if it don't want to come. Panther [censored] keeps working, sometimes it takes a while. A few light taps now and then help move the penerating oil move deeper. Drilling may not be an option. They have been heated and cooled so may times they may be harder than chinese arithmetic already. Might be able to use a die grinder to remove the screw heads. Would still have the rest of the screw to deal with tho. Or are you just after the drums?

I would use heat only as a last resort, but then the gas axe is always the last thing I use. Good luck. Mike

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 165
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 165
I have some good used screws if you need some.

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 9
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 9
An other helper is letting some mouse milk work its way in, then using an impact driver or an oversized screw stick with a bit of valve grinding compound on the tip. It works on aircraft fuel tanks, it should work on the stovebolts.

BIG LIFTER


Tuna is the chicken of the sea
Iguana is the chicken of the tree
Chicken is the chicken of the three
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
Yeah but the hard part must be milking the mouse?


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 9
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 9
It's easyer to milk a mouse than it is to milk a moose.

That's a fact.

BIG LIFTER


Tuna is the chicken of the sea
Iguana is the chicken of the tree
Chicken is the chicken of the three
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
Thanks again guys. This past weekend was just TOO nice (blue skies, temps in the high 70s, leaves turning, etc.) to work in the garage. I'll try several of the things suggested and let you know how they go.

"mouse milk" :confused: :confused: :confused:


Jeff Nelson

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0