The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Shade Baby, Pete1946, frogfarmer, baldeagle, 1955 1 Series, Jon G, 1 invisible), 97 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,213
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 95
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 95
Ok,blinker dudes, I need help.I have a 3 wire arrow brand column mounted switch,1157 bulbs and a Haywire harness.I used 4 relays and the brake lights work great and so do the turn signals BUT.... when you turn on the blinker left or right the relay doesn't close as it should go from 30/87a to 30/87.I am using 1 flasher for both because of the switch
Any Ideas?


Sully

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 98
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 98
are you using a regular or electronic flasher?


50 chevy 3100
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
A 3 wire switch isn't designed to use the stop light bulbs. I'd like to see the circuit you used to accomplish this.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 95
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 95
Cletis,
Go to my photobucket now. I uploaded a picture.
My flashers are just the basic 2 prong.
See what you think.


Sully

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 98
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 98
regular 2 prong flashers need the load of the bulb to work. try an electronic flasher


50 chevy 3100
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 95
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 95
CV,
Thank you,I'll try that.Forgot about the load issue.
I bought the 3 wire because it was the old style and not made of plastic and looks more period perfect with my old column.


Sully

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
That's an interesting circuit. I don't see why it wouldn't work even with the mechanical flasher.

Explain ".... when you turn on the blinker left or right the relay doesn't close as it should go from 30/87a to 30/87." Are you saying when you go to right signal, neither R-R1 nor R-R2 switch?

I can't see how "the brake lights work great and so do the turn signals" if the relays aren't switching.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 95
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 95
OK,i'll try to make some sense out of this.The brake lites work fine according to the diagram because their power goes thru 87a/30 because they have continuity without the relay having a load applied.Like wise with the turn signals because they get their power from the turn signal switch and the flasher.
But,when both power sources hit the relay the relay won't diconnect and go 87/30 as it should.I'll pick up a electronic flasher and try it.The only thing I can think of is the load issue as CV stated above.


Sully

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I still can't grasp the problem. You say "when both power sources hit the relay". You should only have one power source at a time, either left or right. Either one should switch the relays for that side. The flasher has nothing to do with switching.

Are you sure you don't have some wires crossed. I can find no reason why the system shouldn't work if wired per the diagram.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 95
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 95
Cletis,
Believe me I have cooked my brain on this one.
I have wired many cars but this is a first.My theory,the relay does only have one power source until the brake switch is energized thus power is at both 87 from the turn signal and 87a the brake trying to both send to the 30 (common).I think the blinker isn't strong enough,so maybe the electronic one will fix it???? Will work on it this weekend somemore.


Sully

Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 95
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 95
Putting in a electronic flasher didn't fix it.Still trying...


Sully


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0