The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Barry Martak, Jay R, TIM ZINDLER, 2-Ton), 141 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,416
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 211
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 211
Just recently changed my oil and yesterday checked my dipstick and the level had doubled past the Full line. It's like a ghost has popped my hood and poured in a gallon of oil. So I drained some oil out, back to about half full and tonight, just now, my oil light came on in the cab and it's dripping a pool on the ground and it seems to be over full again.

I'm hoping I haven't blown a head gasket and have water from the radiator filling up my oil pan, I haven't noticed a different consistency in the oil and the engine runs fine. Just got rebuilt last year and only has 15,000 miles on the motor.

Any ideas? I'm out of my field on this one!


3 Speed Or No Speed

1965 Chevrolet C10 Stepside
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 60
2
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
2 Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 60
Check your fuel pump, sounds like its leaking gas in you crank case

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 202
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 202
Sounds like your fuel pump is leaking/pumping gas into the engine. Pull the dip stick and smell the oil, if it smells like gas replace the fuel pump. If it looks milky, it is water/anti freeze.


Keep the 216's running. 1949 1/2 ton model #1314 (US 3104) Brian
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 211
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 211
When I drained some of the oil, it was dark, but not a milky color. The radiator is topped off for the most part as well. The oil smells very heavily of gasoline however, is this the tell-tale sign?

Also, can fuel go straight from the pump into the crankcase? I know the pump is bolted onto the block but can it go through the block or something?


3 Speed Or No Speed

1965 Chevrolet C10 Stepside
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
Y
'Bolter
'Bolter
Y Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
Yes!, the internal diaphram will pump gas right into the oil pan.

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
Quit driving it until you get a new fuel pump. It could very well be squirting gas on your cam thereby washing off the lubricant. It doesn't take long to ruin a cam and lifter.

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 211
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 211
Yea its parked right now, I'm having nightmares of all the scary things that could be happening inside!


3 Speed Or No Speed

1965 Chevrolet C10 Stepside
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 89
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 89
put out that cigarete! drain the oil, pull the fuel pump. get a new fuel pump,fresh oil.and your good to go.


theres a tool for every job,and that tool is a hammer. it's easy to give advice if it's not your pocket book at stake. A well thought out plan,Is nothing. Untill exacuted twice.
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
Don't even start it again "just to be sure".
Your oil viscosity is now 2, even cranking it will do more damage.

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 211
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 211
Well, I ordered the pump from American Classic, but I don't know whether to take it into the shop or try doing it myself. I don't want to drive it, but I don't want to pay to tow it, and we don't have a trailer to haul it right now.

Is removing the old one and slapping on the new one easy? I know how to seal gaskets and all that but I don't know if I have to do anything else.


3 Speed Or No Speed

1965 Chevrolet C10 Stepside
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 547
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 547
To change out fuel pumps all you have to do is unbolt the old one, scrap off the old gasket to a nice clean surface. Put in the new gasket and pump. Bolt it down, reattach the fuel lines and your good to go.


58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 211
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 211
Ok, so i understand there is some sort of hole in the block where it mounts up, when I unbolt it from the block will oil from my pan start pouring out of the open hole, or is it high enough that it's up past the oil level? Need to know if I should prepare my driveway for trouble or not.


3 Speed Or No Speed

1965 Chevrolet C10 Stepside
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
the oil level is never above the top edge of the pan, somewhat below it actually - the only time you'd get oil out the pump hole is if it was running .... just don't start it with the pump off grin

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 211
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 211
Hahaha thanks Bill i'll keep that in mind. And thanks to everyone else who has replied and helped me out on this, I will update when the surgery is over with!


3 Speed Or No Speed

1965 Chevrolet C10 Stepside

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0