The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 151 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
In the chevy truck manual I cannot find the wiring between ignition to starter switch. Can anyone share that please.

Rgds.,
Ganesh

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
If you have the original 1952 wiring, there is no wiring between the ignition switch and the starter. The starter has power going to it at all times. The "foot-starter" activates the starter. The ignition switch send power to the coil.

This is hard to read but shows the wiring:
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1942_47/4247csm1232.htm
(I'll post a clearer wiring diagram, if you are interested).

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
Thanks Tim, it is really hard to read. My 52 AD came with a starter button on the dash with a key switch. Key cluster has three prongs one red hot wire is connected to the key and there are couple of blue wires goes to the starter button. whoever originally convereted to 12V used all blue wires so it was really difficult to findout which blue wire go where.

Key cluster Link

http://picasaweb.google.com/ganeshgavara/PicsofWiring#5496424407022309490

Starter button Link

http://picasaweb.google.com/ganeshgavara/PicsofWiring#5496424577304910962



Do anyone have a better pitcure of this wiring diagram please?

Ganesh

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Ganesh,

You do not have original 1952 wiring if you have a 12v system.

Do you have a foot starter or a electric solenoid starter?

Do you have a ballast resistor between the ignition switch and the coil (or, a coil with an internal resistor)?

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
Tim

Mine has been rewired to 12V, I have key switch and push starter in the dash. Not sure about the ballast resistor. And by the way today I was looking at my 1952 chevy manual they have wiring from 49 truck has a switch circuit so I will be ok with wiring diagram. Thanks for the offer you gave me to post better picture. But only difference I find is in the wiring diagram every where to starter swicth it says 10G wire which comes from Starter "S" Terminal and definately I have 16G wire and it was all working fine, if you see in those pictures the blue wires I am talking about.

I made a mistake while pulling the wires should have been more careful

Ganesh

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Ganesh,

OK, good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
Did the 52 have the push button starter - instead of the floor mash peddle?

Just wondering. I am planning on putting a 52 car engine 216 in my 48 3100. I plan to use Woody's diagram to drill the front mounting holes. It has the key start solinoid on the starter and I was wondering how I could use a key start or a push button. I was hoping the key starter from a 52 (or some other year) would fit into the existing key starter part in the dash for the time being. This engine appears to be good so I wanted to use it. And, if this engine doesn't work out I will find a good 235.

TIA


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
Yes my 52 had a key on the right side of the steering wheel and push button on the left side of steering wheel near the headlight switch.

Thanks to Tim for pointing me the 42_47 wiring diagram and I got all that sorted out and atleast it is cranking when I push the button.

Ganesh

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Ganesh,

If it is cranking when you push the button, you are sort of half-way there.

Now you need to have the ignition switch (key switch) wired to provide power to the coil when the key is turned to "On". Another complexity is that the foot-starter switch might have a small post on the side that would be wired to the coil (to give 12v to the coil while the starter is cranking).

In a 12v system you need to have a ballast resistor in-line from the key-switch to the coil or you need a coil that has an internal ballast resistor. I do not know how to determine if you have a coil with an internal ballast resistor (without a ballast resistor, the truck will start but you will burn out the points in short order).

Is this confusing enough?

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
Tim

I have all that set from key to the starter coil. Mine was all working before I took the engine out to work on the floors. I wired back the same way. I tried to even put some gas into carburetor to get some firing. It is getting there. Need to mount the gas tank. Tried to set the fuel can on the floor and put a long hose from fuelpump into can. It didnot pull the gas enough to fire up the engine. Thatz my tomorrow's challenge.

Ganesh


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0