The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (FAST55, Phak1, Gib70, DadsFirstPickup, Bill Hanlon), 135 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#664794 07/24/2010 4:42 PM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
I purchased a “Heater & Defrost Assembly” part # 68-991 (12 volt) from Classic Parts. It is going in my ’53 3600. The instructions say “Wire the heater, as shown in wiring diagram to a fused vehicle circuit”. The circuit is a simple sketch with a line from the ignition switch to the heater switch, then to the heater and then ground. No fuse size is given.
There is a warning in the instructions “Caution: Switch not intended for dash mount. Coils may get hot. Isolate least 5” from wiring and flammable materials”. It sounds like it will draw heat like a soldering iron.
Should I assume that the ignition switch is fused and any wire exiting the ignition switch would work or should I put an inline fuse between the ignition switch and the heater switch and if so what size. Classic Parts says they can’t answer this question. Any advice appreciated.
John


"It wasn't broke but I still decided to fix it. Now its broke"
I really love my coon hounds
Pics at http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/...0truck/53%20Chevy%20truck%20Sept%202010/
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
no the ign sw is not fused, get an inline fuse to put in the hot wire or if you have a fuse panel with an unused slot, get power from there [best alternative] ... size usually 9-10amp, might indicate current draw on the motor, should say in the sales listing ... the multi-speed switches do get hot, but are mounted to the dash originally, there are no flammable materials under there except wiring, which of course you will keep clear of

I'd say if Classic Parts can't give you that advice, they shouldn't be selling the product - or you shouldn't be buying from them!

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
You will need a 20-30 amp fuse.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I would go with the 10 amp fuse. I can't see any way you would need a 20 to 30 amp fuse on there and the wiring to the ignition switch could not take it.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
I have easy access to two wires. My fuse block is full. One of the wires is 30 amp and feeds the headlights. Of course, it is not controlled by the ignition switch. I have already added a wiper motor to that wire. It is heavy gauge but don't know how big.
The other wire is labeled on the fuse block as "Radio" and is controlled by the ignition switch. It is 10 amp and has a smaller wire. I do not plan on adding a radio.
I assume that the reason that the meager instructions said to connect to ignition switch is to keep the fan from running when you turn off the ignition and exit the truck. I can't think of any other reason.
John


"It wasn't broke but I still decided to fix it. Now its broke"
I really love my coon hounds
Pics at http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/...0truck/53%20Chevy%20truck%20Sept%202010/
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I believe the in-line fuse to my heater/defroster is 8 amp. I'd think a 20 amp would allow your motor to sustain damage if a short occurred. I don't think the windings in the motor would handle that much current.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
use the radio point on the fuse block, do NOT use the headlight circuit or you may find yourself without heat AND lights some cold night ... the fuse block generally is powered from the ign sw so all accessories go off with the key

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
I will use the open, ignition switch controlled radio wire (10 amp) for the heater / defroster.
Now the question of where to hook up the wipers. They have their own inline 10 amp fuse and are presently connected to the 30 amp headlight fuse.
Here is what I have available:
Main fuse from battery 50 amp

8 fuses in the fuse block marked as follows
Hazard 25 amp
Headlights 30 amp
Stop / horn 20 amp
Coil 25 amp
Turn /wipers 20 amp
Radio 10 amp
Gauges 10 amp
Fuel pump 15 amp
These add up to 155 amps. All fed through a 50 amp fuse. Makes no sense to me.
Any idea of the best place to put the wipers?
Thanks for all of the feed back.
John


"It wasn't broke but I still decided to fix it. Now its broke"
I really love my coon hounds
Pics at http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/...0truck/53%20Chevy%20truck%20Sept%202010/
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Where on earth did the fuse block and wiring harness come from? They don't seem to be closely related to a 1953 truck.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
might try putting the wipers where it says 'wipers' wink sounds like you got an aftermarket multi-circuit harness?

don't bother adding fuses up, a fuse is a safety to insure that the device can't draw more than that max amount, which will relate to how heavy the wire gauge is .... doubt you have a fused coil, doubt you have an electric fuel pump, you've already said you won't have a radio, and you don't have any electric on your gauges but the lights.... unlikely anyo f the rest will be drawing more half of the fuse rating, and if a bunch of them went out at the same time the main fuse would likely blow, so have spares for every size in the glove box - and originally these trucks didn't have a "main" fuse, all the individual circuits are fused at their particular rating

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
This is definitely an after market system. The guy I brought it from also must had gotten a good deal on heavy red wire because everything is red. Ugh!
Thanks for all the advice. Now to figure which red wire is the one marked Turn / wipers.
John


"It wasn't broke but I still decided to fix it. Now its broke"
I really love my coon hounds
Pics at http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/...0truck/53%20Chevy%20truck%20Sept%202010/
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
Turn on a circuit, like wipers, for instance, and start pulling fuses until it quits. It's very possible that you can eliminate, or consolidate circuits to free up some of those fuses for other purposes. Fuses protect wires, not the end item. If a heater blower motor shorts out, it's toast anyway. The fuse just prevents the wire from burning out when there's a heavy current draw or a short. An 18 gauge wire, for instance, needs about a 7.5 amp fuse, max. A 16 gauge wire can handle 10 amps or so, 15 amps for a 14 gauge, etc. Go with about a 20% to 50% overload capability for any circuit- - - - -If the accessory draws 10 amps, for instance, wire it with 14 ga., and use a 12-15 amp fuse.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
Is there any reason that I can't connect the aftermarket wipers that have their own inline 10 amp fuse to the "hot" side of my ignition switch as I have determined that this wire is always hot if the main 50 amp fuse is installed even with all other fuses removed from the fuse block?
John


"It wasn't broke but I still decided to fix it. Now its broke"
I really love my coon hounds
Pics at http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/...0truck/53%20Chevy%20truck%20Sept%202010/
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
yes John, that would work fine, fuse blocks are just a way to avoid having a bunch of inline fuses cluttering things up under there, the important thing is that the devices be fused

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
Now I think that I am good to go.
Thanks all!
John


"It wasn't broke but I still decided to fix it. Now its broke"
I really love my coon hounds
Pics at http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/...0truck/53%20Chevy%20truck%20Sept%202010/

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0