The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (TUTS 59, Jay R, 2-Ton, Gdads51, JW51, Wally / Montana), 85 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,083
Posts1,056,332
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
Hey guys, I am trying to replace my vacuum advance and I don't know where to buy one with the correct angle on it. I bought one from Classic Chevy parts (Chevy Duty) and it isn't right even though the catalog says its for a 49-54 chevy. Their tech support said I could bend the vacuum line and make it work but the problem is with the hold down bolt and the distributor clamp screw which are interfering with each other. I have some digital pics I took to show the comparison but don't know where to put them so you an see them. I can send them to you if you supply your e-mail address. Thanks for any help.


Still trying to get ole Betsy back on the road.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Craig,

Jim Carter and Obsolete Chevrolet and others do sell the correct vacuum advance mechanism for a truck. I got a correct one from both Jim Carter (after 6 months) and Obsolete Chevrolet (on week) last summer.

The angles on the automobile advance mechanism are, just as you describe, incorrect and will not bolt-on properly/easily (on a truck).

Here is the truck vacuum advance.
Here is Chevy Duty's photo of the truck mechanism.

I will try to find a photo of the automobile vacuum advance.

Tim

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
Hi Tim., Thanks for the information. I responded to the e-mail notification that was sent to me by the forum but I guess it didn't post back to the forum. I note the pictures that you listed are just like the part I got from Chevy Duty that was the wrong item. I sent you some photos via your e-mail as I didn't know how to get them to the forum. One photo shows the difference in the bracket angles of the two different vacuum advances. I looked at both Carters and Obsolete and some other catalogs I have and they all use the same photo which looks to be the wrong one. If you know what part number is correct for either company I will order from them. Thanks again
Craig


Still trying to get ole Betsy back on the road.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Added from email photos sent by Craig:

Craig\'s original vacuum advance

Craig\'s vacuum advance and a truck vacuum advance

Craig,

You vacuum advance mechanism is off an automobile engine. If you vacuum line was already plumbed for attachment to the automobile vacuum advance, you might as well get an automobile vacuum advance mechanism. I think that I found one at Harmon's and maybe at the Filling Station and at a few other sites (they had photos that could not be copied). If you cannot find one, post a reply here and I will look for a source.

Classic Parts of America (Chevy Duty) will most likely take the part back (but you might have to pay return shipping).


Tim

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
Tim, more great information. Just my luck to have a car vacuum advance distributor in my engines - yes - I have two, both from trucks and the same type advance mechanism!. Question - is the distributor clamp different for a car and truck. I wonder if I had a truck distributor clamp then the vacuum advance bracket for the distributor would not interfer with the octane selector(vacuum advance) bracket. But, like you suggest it might be easier to find the car vacuum advance than a distributor clamp. I'll see what I can find. Thanks a million!
Craig


Still trying to get ole Betsy back on the road.
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
Tim, more great information. Just my luck to have a car vacuum advance distributor in my engines - yes - I have two, both from trucks and the same type advance mechanism!. Question - is the distributor clamp different for a car and truck. I wonder if I had a truck distributor clamp then the vacuum advance bracket for the distributor would not interfer with the octane selector(vacuum advance) bracket. But, like you suggest it might be easier to find the car vacuum advance than a distributor clamp. I'll see what I can find. Thanks a million!
Craig


Still trying to get ole Betsy back on the road.
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
Tim, Problem solved! I ordered the correct one (the picture looks like my original)from the Filling Station... I can't thank you enough. It might seem simple to some but this thing has bugged me for almost two months. Thanks to you and Stovebolt for being there for us truckers.


Still trying to get ole Betsy back on the road.
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
Tim, one more item. Any idea where I can get an original distributor clamp for the truck engine? Then I could use the other vacuum advance I ordered on my second engine and it would be original.
Thanks again


Still trying to get ole Betsy back on the road.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Craig,

I have never seen that piece by itself for sale new/repo.

Maybe a "Want Ad" in the Swap Meet section will find you one.

Tim

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
Okay, I'm off to the swap meet...


Still trying to get ole Betsy back on the road.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0