The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Steelonsteel, Shade Baby, cmayna, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny), 105 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
Why the front motor mount bolts are like carriage bolts instead of hex bolt. Do you guys put hex bolt. I am in the process of putting the motor and I didnot get bolts with the new motor mounts. Do you guys know what size and which bolts I should buy.

Thanks as always

Ganesh

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
The mounting plate bolts are carriage bolts because the plate is stamped with a square hole to accept the carriage bolt because it prevents the bolt from spinning while tightening.With the fan and radiator in place space is limited for an open end or box wrench to fit the hex bolt head. If the radiator is removed, you'll have plenty of room for hex head wrenches. The original carriage bolt size is 3/8"- 24 x 1 3/4" and drilled for a cotter pin. Replacement carriage bolts don't have to be exactly that unless you're going for a pure restoration. Just use a 3/8" carriage bolt of the same size with a course thread and a nylock nut.


Drew
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
Thanks Drew, I went and bought 3/8" carriage bolt but the new motor mount plate doesnot have stamped square hole. It is chore always when removing those bolts for me, they keep spinning

Ganesh

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
I'm pretty sure the original carraige bolts are 7/16"-20 NF threads. You can make square holes by drilling the corners with a small drill, then drilling the center and finishing with a file as seen here:

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/curt160/mods/?action=view&current=frontplateholes.jpg

See the tech tips for a template.






1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
Just ran into this myself, try getting the carriage bolts from a John Deere dealer, they had the bolts, some thick washers as well. Proper grade too. I know it sounds off, but they had the goods. Some old school guys have the stuff, but they want way to much $$ for automotive grade bolts in my opinion.

Hank


1951 restoration on website
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.hanklong.com
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Originally Posted by Curt B.
I'm pretty sure the original carraige bolts are 7/16"-20 NF threads. You can make square holes by drilling the corners with a small drill, then drilling the center and finishing with a file as seen here:

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/curt160/mods/?action=view&current=frontplateholes.jpg

See the tech tips for a template.
Curt,It's possible they are 7/16. I admit I was using a Master Parts Catalog that only went to 1951. smile By the way, I liked how you remade your shift box for manifold clearance.Very nice.


Drew

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0