Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,088 Posts1,056,408 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 90 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 90 | Hi,
Looking to covert from clamshell to barn door as a alternative to getting the clamshell parts I'm missing. Beside the hinges, are there any door stops and also are there any striker plates where one of the barn doors latch into (the one that doesn't have the door handle).
Pictures of the rear door opening showing the details would be really nice, dont' want to spend a fortune and then still have parts missing...
Thanks in advance Dyna | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | upper "hold-opens" will be hard to find, been a number of folks over time here looking for them - need the covers for your top hinges too, where the check arm mounts .... there's a small striker at the top for the driverside door, which has a latch mechanism that sticks out the top, and another striker at the bottom for the handled door ... the main door handle and and it's latch are available new, they're the same as the pass side door [well, close enough] and the striker for that is mounted on the other door edge .... also a unique license holder/light you won't find I don't much like the clamshell rear myself, but I think you should keep searching for what you need for yours and skip different frustrations  also the center stop light you have on it is a very desireable rare piece if it's complete and functional Bill | | | | | Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 90 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 90 | Wow super post Bill.. Still think it will be easier to switch. Searching the internet and it looks like 9 of 10 are barn door type and things should be easier to get for them.
I looked at one door that has that unique license holder/light.. so maybe things aren't too hopeless.
I like the barn door type better too, I'm short so it's #$#@$ to lift things over the tailgate. Beside it looks better too. Just as a start I thought it would be easier to get things for the tailgate but I think its not now after searching... Anyways super thanks for a really good post..
Burbly Dyna | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | Start collecting the necessary pieces by looking at suburbans/panels for sale and taking pics or at car shows or in the gallery here. Then you will know what the parts look like. It may take a year or more to find parts for sale or you may get lucky. If you give up on finding all the parts, sell the ones you have, they will go up in value. Ebay is by far your best bet, then "wanted" forums like we have here. I'll keep my eye open for you. Like you said , some of the doors will have much of what you need, maybe even the checks. My experience is that you have to sometimes buy more than you need to get the parts, then sell back the unused stuff. You may buy 3 or 4 doors to get it all then sell the doors. It takes a lot of work to build a Suburban or panel and get the stuff behind the front doors! Be advised that Suburban and Panel Checks ARE NOT THE SAME. Everything else back there is the same. When your done, selling your clamshell stuff will help get some of your maney back. A good "swing light" can be a 75-$100 or more. All Suburban/panel specific parts are getting harder and harder to find. I don't know what year you have but the rear door light that Squeeze showed you is 57 58 59, the 55-56 is different and goes back to 50? about. AS far as rear fender lights, the lens everyone has are "stepped". These are called 57 lenses and are the only ones available in the aftermarket. 55-56 red lenses were not stepped. I have the only known pair of NOS non-stepped lenses in the universe.
Last edited by bartamos; 07/13/2010 8:25 PM.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 90 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 90 | Thanks for the info Bartamos. The swing light is not that bad, but not great either. Car shows are nice only problem is that aren't many panels or burbs here in the UK or Europe for that matter. Been looking at the gallery and even searched flicker and it's like.. Guess I need to do a lot of reading in the forums too  . Burbly Dyna | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | Didn't realize you were in Jolly ole'. Welcome here, we are multi national as u c. I will email you pics of the door checks that are correct, if you PM me your email address.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 83 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 83 | The arms that hold the upper clam shell in the up position were called "Stop Hinges" and I belive are still available from Union City Body. They build the "Step Van" model Bread Truck you see all over.
1999 GMC Yukon 1957 GMC 100 Panel
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 25 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 25 | Bartamos - PM sent re a guy in the Uk who has aset of barn doors.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 90 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 90 | The arms that hold the upper clam shell in the up position were called "Stop Hinges" and I belive are still available from Union City Body. They build the "Step Van" model Bread Truck you see all over. Thanks for the tip. I did a search for it but I come up empty handed. Do you have some link? Burbly Dyna | | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 83 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 83 | I used to have access to a catalog that showed lots of door hardware, that catalog was back in a post i held in the USAF another life time ago. there are simular gagets used in carpenty and cabinetry, keep looking! I kept mine for a LONG time; don't remember trashing them, I may have given them to the guy that bought my truck, way off in Alaska.
1999 GMC Yukon 1957 GMC 100 Panel
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 24 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 24 | I have two trucks and only need one set. Also the drawings.
1957 3805 Panel It's not how you fall down, but how you get back up.
| | |
| |