| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,130 Posts1,056,720 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 35 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 35 | I pulled the line from the cluster to see if any oil was coming out and there's nothing but when I completely remove the oil pressure line from the block oil does come out. If I take a shorter line (so I can move it around) and lower the line to the level of the connection on the engine or below it oil will come out, but if I raise it up at all past that mark it stops. I'm under the impression that this means the pump isn't doing anything and the oil I'm seeing is just moving because of the crank, is that right? The only thing I've touched in this regard is the distributor - is it possible that I screwed something up there? Anything else I should be checking? The pressure gauge did read correctly prior to changing the distributor and the distributor is seated all the way in. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | The distributor drives the oil pump so if it isn't seated correctly, the pump will not turn. The bottom of the distributor shaft looks like a large slaot screw driver and the top of the oil pump shaft has a slot in it. You should feel a clunk as the distributor drops into it during installation. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,839 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,839 | It soundslike you don't have the distributor shaft engaged in toh oli pump, or the tang on the bottom of the distributir shaft has broken off. DO NOT continue toi run the engine until you find the source of the problem- - - - -the rod and main bearings won't last long without oil pressure! Pull the dizzy back out, and inspect the bottom of the shaft and the slot in the pump drive for damage. When you reinstall it, be sure the shafts mesh. If you're dealing with a 216 or 235, it's possible for the distributor to be installed too high on the clamp ring, letting the gear mesh and the engine run, without turning the oil pump. You can spin the pump with a big screwdriver blade clamped into a 1/2" drill motor with the distributor removed (clockwise) and oil pressure should build up. Jerry
Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; 07/11/2010 6:24 PM.
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 35 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 35 | You were right, after I posted this I went back out to fiddle again, the distributor was in far enough to run, but not far enough to engage the pump. I got it seated in properly and the oil pressure is back. | | |
| |
| |