The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Swami29, Otto Skorzeny, cmayna, tclederman, klhansen, KEVINSKI, StevenO, 55shaker), 122 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,605
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#661052 07/09/2010 4:23 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
This project is under way - to be running by the truck's 60th birthday - and I know there is information to be gleaned on this board, on this subject, but I guess I am no darn good at searching.

The first question I have is, are there mounts available for this swap?


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 137
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 137
Don't all the 216/235/250's have the same mounts? The 292's are different (offset), but I thought the others were the same, even up into the 80's.

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Originally Posted by chicklin
Don't all the 216/235/250's have the same mounts? The 292's are different (offset), but I thought the others were the same, even up into the 80's.
The 230/250/292 are all different bellhousing and side mounts from the 207/216/235/261 motors.

The GMC 228/248/270 and 302 motors complicate the picture a little more...

Canadian built models make it even more complicated. What truck do you have and what motor are you dealing with?


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
I have a US-built 3804, a 1951 one-ton pickup, which is getting a 1981 250. The engine is from a fleet-spec 1/2 ton. A 1981. Sorry, I thought that was clear from the title.


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Sometimes follow-up questions need to be asked to help other posters understand the context. That was the case here as far as I'm concerned.

The series of motors that includes the 250 all use the same bell-housing pattern at the rear and mostly the same engine mounting. The 292 is a little different so we'll ignore it for now.

The 250 can be mounted where the 230 came out and actually the engine mounts and bell-housing are the same as a side-mount Chevy V-8. You don't have to worry about the steering because the motor is narrow like the original six, and the mount kits you can buy for a V-8 make the swap straight-forward.

The mounts are completely different from the early Chevy/GMC motors.





1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
But I'll need the 250's bellhousing because the 216's won't work, right?

Will I still be able to use the stomp starter? How about the drum on the back of the old tranny?


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Originally Posted by hotshoe36
But I'll need the 250's bellhousing because the 216's won't work, right?
Right. 1980 might not be the ideal choice but you will need a post-'54 Chevy V-8 type bell that bolts between the transmission and the block.

Originally Posted by hotshoe36
Will I still be able to use the stomp starter?
I hate to label things impossible, but without some modification and fabrication you won't be able to use the stomp starter.

Originally Posted by hotshoe36
How about the drum on the back of the old tranny?
Should be no problem.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
Originally Posted by hotshoe36
Will I still be able to use the stomp starter?

You can fabricate a fake stomper that will appear normal to the casual observer. The project involves a push-button starter switch mounted below the floorboard and the top part of the stomper pedal attached to a hinge or sleeve that allows you to push the button with your foot. The pushbutton is wired between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid so it's hot with the ignition in the "on" position, just requiring a push to complete the circuit.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
All useful information, thank-you both. Last question: OldSub, you say 1980 may not be the ideal choice of bell. Why?

Last edited by hotshoe36; 07/13/2010 9:12 PM.

1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0