The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bill Hanlon, Hotrod Lincoln, Buckeye998, Jon G, 1 invisible), 89 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,091
Posts1,056,393
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 210
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 210
Hello all, I want to remove my Oil Filter Canister tomorrow to clean, paint, decal, and install new lines. It's on my 46 1.5 ton. Most of the paint is gone and I don't know what model or brand it is. I bought decals for both. I have read the article in the tech tips. Do these have any markings stamped on them to identify the brand? What is the best way to tell? I don't know if it's original to the truck. My engine compartment was a frankenstein. I had stuff from many diffenet years.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

I think a Fram canister has a pinch in the conical bottom surface, while an AC has a smooth conical bottom surface.

While AC and Fram were the most common canisters, there were other brands. Can you post a side-view photo and a photo of the bottom?

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 210
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 210
I'll try to post a pic tomorrow. Thanks for the help. Hopefully we'll be able to identify the model so I can the correct filter. The filter thats in it is a NAPA 1076. I ran a check and it shows a Dodge application!

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 210
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 210
I don't know what brand it is but it from a early 1960's Dodge application. Oh well it still works!

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
If it doesn't really match either, paint it whatever you think would look nice and find a cool decal for it. A friend of mine picked up a tractor oil filter decal and put it on the side and painted the filter and lid international harvester red. Looks nice. He also use brass fittings and polished them. Looks like a fire hydrant




1949 Chevy 4400 Big Red
1949 Chevy 3600 Bob's Truck
1949 Chevy 3100 The Investment
1949 Chevy 3800 the Won Ton


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0