The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Shaffer's1950, Bill Marlow), 66 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,386
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#654447 06/13/2010 1:33 PM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 19
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 19
I got the old girl up and running and it wasn't doing so well. I did a compression test and had 2 dead cylinders. I pulled the valve cover and found that 2 of the push rods had slipped off the rocker arms. It that a common thing to happen with the old 261's? I put it back together and she runs great now. Just need to finish a few things and she'll be going to work around the farm.
Here is a picture of the old girl. I guess just copy and paste?
http://www.facebook.com/search/?flt=1&q=david+ingraham&o=2048&s=40#!/photo.php?pid=1262613&id=1393045112

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 64
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 64
Nice looking little truck just about the right size for the farm.

Neal,


- NEALS49 - 2LOW4U -
"RECYCLE BUILD A HOT ROD"
"SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL CLUB"
1949 GMC 100 Canopy Express On my Flickr
1949 GMC 100 SWB Deluxe Cab On my Flickr
1949 Chevrolet 6400 yard work truck
[b]1949 GMC 250 LWB 9' Deluxe Cab
On my Flickr
A whole lot of pics, 12K+ ..On Flickr Photo Group 47-55 AD
My Facebook Page NEALS49 MY GARAGE
NEALS49 #654524 06/13/2010 11:44 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 64
0
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
0 Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 64
Valves can stick when the truck sits idle. Sticking valves can cause the pushrods to escape from the rockers. I'd check for sticking valves and try to use the truck a little more. Some top cylinder lubricant wouldn't hurt either. I don't have a facebook account so I couldn't see the pics, but good luck with it.

00Truck #654617 06/14/2010 12:16 PM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 19
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 19
While I had the valve cover off, I did tap all the lifters with a rubber mallet and made sure the were all free and then spayed them all with WD-40. It runs good now. Still a few tune up items to finish up.
Yesterday I re-wired the engine compartment and installed an alternator. The generator wasn't working and a lot of the wires were missing their cloth insulation. I also moved the battery under the hood instead of under the cab. I still need to do the lights, horn, etc but the wife says I need yo go work on other things also. I guess I'm just having too much fun working on the old girl.
Thanks for all the replies.

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 93
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 93
Not bad, I got a 47' with a 261, it set for close to 20 years and when I fired it up the valves never gave me any trouble. My truck's wiring was also the same. So I ripped it all out and installed new, something I would recommend. Right now I'm currently in the middle of restoration. Take a look and good luck with yours.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1262613&id=1393045112#!/photo.php?pid=52053414&id=12440303


1947farmer

1947 2-Ton Chevy
Story in the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Photobucket
1977 3/4-ton
1985 2.5-ton
2- 1947 Allis WC
1- 1949 Allis allcrop
1- 1955 Allis WD-45
1- 1976 Allis 7040

"If it ain't broke you ain't trying"
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 19
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 19
Not a bad truck farmer. I don't think I'll restore this one. If I do decide to get one to restore, I know where there is a '47 1/2 ton. Are the turn signals on the fenders original? If so, mine are in my glovebox.
Also, I was wondering what the weight (approximate would do) of these 1.5 tons trucks are. I figured the dump bed on mine is probably 800-1000 pounds considering that all the metal is 1/4" thick. But how much does the basic truck weigh?

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
I am unable to open your facebook photo even when I cut and paste the address to a search engine.

I don't know how big your bed is or what type but if it is 1/4" steel it is a lot more than 1000 lbs.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Dave,

I had to log in to Facebook to see the photos - the link then worked for me:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=52053414&id=12440303

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 474
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 474
Basic truck weight is 3800 to 4000 lbs.Plus bed type .


Stovebolt Gallery
1952 Chevy 3100
1953 Chevy 4400
1965 Nova
Pics on Photobucket
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 19
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 19
That 1000 was just a guess. What ever it is, I bet it is heavy. I might not want to know how much it weighs, then I wouldn't want to take it over my bridges on the farm.
Thanks again for all the replies and look forward to chatting later.

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 19
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 19
Of course, the truck needs to have some brake work done. The only problem is that I can't find any info online. The nearest auto parts store is an hour away so it a chore to go ask for parts. Yes, I live in B.F.E.
Surprisingly, only one wheel cylinder and the master cylinder are leaking, but if I'm going to do it, I might as well do them all for safety's sake. Who knows when the other 3 wheels will give out.
OK, back to the original question. Where is a good source for parts for these big bolts? Any help would save a lot of time.
Thanks again.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0