The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Gdads51, 2-Ton, fonz8261), 104 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,143
Posts1,056,495
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#65531 09/11/2006 1:53 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 237
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 237
I just pulled the hubs, and the axle, and the springs from the front of my 1958 1 ton. It has the ball bearings. Several of them are badly galled, so I'm gonna replace.

I see there is a upgrade available to change over to taper bearings (see link). Anybody ever do that to tell me how it worked out?

http://www.americanclassic.com/asp/...;iyear=1956&ytype=to&exyear=1956

What else should I change while I've got the hub taken apart this far? Oil seal for sure.

Thanks.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 226
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 226
King pins are only 40 some bucks from Carters....


What it will say on my Tombstone: "Boy, that guy sure owed alotta people Money"
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 14
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 14
I just converted my '51 1/2 ton from roller bearings to tapered. I recommend it very strongly. The steering is smoother and I have no doubt it's safer. I'm not sure about the availability for 1 ton. Check Brothers and the company that used to be Chevy Duty, Classic parts of America. The latter was $125 for my truck, cheaper than Brothers.
Hope this helps.
John Morris
Washington, Vt

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 14
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 14
What I meant to say was I switched from ball bearings to tapered.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
MtManVt,

Did you have any luck finding the boxes the bearings and seals came in. Sharing those numbers would be great.


Stuart

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 14
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 14
No Stuart, I foolishly chucked the boxes. Or I should say my girlfriend threw them out because they weren't nailed down. That's why I didn't respond to the previous posts. I tightened the new tapered wheel bearings down to original factory specs. (I think it was 33 ft lbs) and they were a little tight. The drum dragged a little. I loosened them up and they work fine. They are part #73-061K in Classic Parts of America.
http://www.classicparts.com


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0