The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (stlcardinalsguy, dunfire, Otto Skorzeny), 110 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,427
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#654071 06/11/2010 9:41 PM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 44
7
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
7 Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 44
Hey guys!

I've got a '49 GMC I'm tinkering with and fixing up. Over the past or so I've been collecting parts and working towards getting it on the road.

My question is, I would really like a radio. But, I have yet to find a GMC radio, and I can't afford the Jim Carter price. I'd like to find something I can fix up (used to work in a electronics shop).

Can a Chev radio be switched over to a positive ground circuit? Simple? Difficult? Impossible, or even worth it?

I ask because I've seen a couple at swap meets and on ebay, and I'll do the work if I can save a few bucks.

Thanks!

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
78Chev,
the radio for the GMC and the Chev are basically the same radio with a different dial display. You can buy a new dial glass to change it to GMC. The original radios had a mechanical vibrator in the power supply and the radio would run either with positive ground or negative ground. Now days you can buy a solid state replacement for the vibrator and you would need to make sure it was for the correct polarity that you want.

There were two different designs that were made, one from 1948 to 50 and another from 51 to 53. They are interchangeable in application. The older one has the back cut on an angle (slant back) and the newer one has the straight cut back. The dials are different so it is good to get the correct dial glass to have the stations align properly.

If you get to restoring one, we can help you out with answering all your questions.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 171
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 171
I swap Chevy/GMC radios all the type for Jim Carter , I you really want to get close I can get you a GMC model/serial # plate for 47-49, BILL

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 44
7
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
7 Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 44
Thanks guys! I've been looking at one on ebay for about 300 bucks, seems like a good price, but a little steep for me right now. At least I know I can look for either.



Moderated by  truckernix 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0