The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (D B Cooper, 1955 1 Series, Rexville48, Robert Crandall, NorCal52Suburban, C10 - C90 Bill, Ponchogl), 81 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,145
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#652711 06/06/2010 6:19 AM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 74
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 74
Well,

I am really enjoying driving my 1946 Chevy Stylemaster. One thing I just can't seem to get used to however is how at 55MPH on the highway, any bump can send the car veering in any direction. The ride is hard, the handling is poor, but it looks great with the original slim bias ply tires. It is important to me that the car looks vintage, but its more important to my wife that the car is safe. I have standard black tires now. My goal is to move to a white wall tire (with a big white wall), original size to the 16X6.00 that is on there, but in radial. I would like it to look as close to original as possible, and I really would like to avoid spending $800+ on a set. I am guessing this is a tall order but its worth a try? What are my options?

DG


1946 Chevy Stylemaster Sedan - 216 6 Cylinder
1971 Chevelle SS
1995 Monte Carlo Z34
2005 Corvette Z51
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 119
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 119
I just bought a set off Craigslist that were like new 215/70/16 radials for $150. They aren't white walls, but they look okay and the price was right. I found some look alike radials but the prices were sky high.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

If the rim-section (rim width) of your 1946 car wheels is 4.0", you will have limited selection in radial tires (and/or you will have to find an accommodating tire installer).

A 215/70/16 tire would need a rim width of 5.5-7.0"

I am using 215/85R16 tires on my truck (this is "high profile" tire that has a profile similar to the original bias-ply tire). They should be mounted on 5.5 min rim section wheels but my 1954 16" truck wheels have 5" rim section.

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 74
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 74
Am I in the ball park with a 215/85/16 tire? Still requires a 5-7in rim but I am wondering if I can squeeze it on.

What are your thoughts on shaving a set of tires?

DG


1946 Chevy Stylemaster Sedan - 216 6 Cylinder
1971 Chevelle SS
1995 Monte Carlo Z34
2005 Corvette Z51
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
There seems to be lots of guys running 215-85-16's on 4.5" rims with good success. I'm looking too, and was told yesterday that tire mfg state 5" minimum is bc no narrower wheels are made these days...dunno for sure but the 4.5's seem to work OK


Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0