The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gdads51, Wally / Montana, NJC, Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible), 85 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,084
Posts1,056,334
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#65125 08/31/2006 8:48 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 29
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 29
This is my 1st post on the site, just let me say Thanks in advance for any help. I have a 63 Chevy shortbed stepside that I am working to make a nice driver out of. I am getting close to needed to do something with the rear end and don't know if I should try to re-gear it or get a different rear end all together. I don't know what the ratio is right now, but it is geared very low. You start out in 2nd with ease. I will be putting a larger engine in the truck also mostly likely a GM 400 my Uncle has. Any input is welcome. I am an extreme Newbie! grin

#65126 08/31/2006 9:09 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 324
2
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
2 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 324
Welcome to the bolt.
On your rear end delima it is best to make a plan and ask yourself several questions.
What engine?
What transmission standard or auto with overdrive or not?
Do you want Positraction or not?
What highway speeds are you looking for?
You probably have a 4.11 or a 3.90 gear now, find out which one you have. There is a tag on the pumpkin (middle section) on a lot of these rear ends look for that.
All of this will determine what is the best gear for your application.
Make a plan it will save you a lot of money in the long run.
Tom

#65127 08/31/2006 10:04 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I,m getting ready to do a similar swap. I got a rear end from a 69 with 3.08 gears. I intend to put it in a 60 panel. It looks like everything will fit except the panhard bar mounting. As soon as my welder friend gets back from vacation I am going to work on it. I put a 5th over trans. from an s-10 in my 55-2 & it works great.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
#65128 09/01/2006 1:07 AM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 29
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 29
My guess would be 4.11's also, but I did not find the tag. I will look again this weekend. What I want to do is put that 400 in with an auto trans, air, power steering & brakes fora nice daily driver truck. It would be about a 50/50 mix city & interstate, so I would need comforatable speeds up to 70 mph. I would also like to switch to a 5 bolt pattern for the wheels as it seems stuff for 5 bolts are less expensive. If I could find a rear end with disc brakes I would be happy also, but not that important right now. Thanks for the input.

#65129 09/01/2006 1:08 AM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 49
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 49
wrenchbender,the perches should be 5" farther apart.63,your rear is probably a 3.73,same as my 64.if thats a chevy 400,you should leave the rear alone and use a 700r4 automatic overdrive trans.


64 c10
89 rs
62 econoline
50 ford coupe
#65130 09/01/2006 3:37 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 227
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 227
63StepSide welcome to the site. I also have a 63 short stepside, and i have all the modern conveniences you speak of. sure makes this truck a more comfortable ride. im runing a th350 with 2.56? gears from a 79 caprice with 5 lug hubs. also the 305 from the same car. I installed power disc brakes up front 5 lug, power steering, and an underbed gas tank. oh and being in texas the under dash a/c is a must! these trucks are a lot of fun! let me know if i can offer any specific advice/help. i put about 35 miles a day just work and back. the truck rides at 60-65 but 80 just takes a little more pedal.

#65131 09/03/2006 12:05 AM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 29
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 29
NC C10 Fan,
I think you may be correct. I did a search on the site and found a note that said if you count the turns on the drive shaft to two full turns on one wheel that would give the ratio. Two full turns gets me about 3 & 3/4 turns on the dirve shaft, so 3.73 looks correct. I like the idea to keep my rear end and get a 700r4, I think that would save me some cash and keep the truck more intact. I will have to decide on the 5 vs 6 bolt pattern also. Any thoughts re: that?

#65132 09/05/2006 2:38 AM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 75
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 75
If a six came in the truck it should have a 3.73 if it had a manual trans.if it was a auto it could be a 4.10 you can change the tire size up down to get less are more gear also. if running the 400SB I would leave the rear alone and go with a 700R4 auto overdrive. 64 to 72 rears will fit but they are a inch wider just check clearence with tire if you change. also 71 and 72 will have five lugs and some of the 70 models did also.

#65133 09/05/2006 4:40 AM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 29
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 29
Thanks for all the input guys! I am very excited. I will go with a 700R4 and keep the orig. rear end. The truck does have a 6 and manual trans. I also think I will stay with the six bolt pattern and put discs on the front and keep the pads in back. You guys have been a huge help and I really appreciate it.
Now on to the next 1000 questions!


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0