| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,127 Posts1,056,681 Members48,452 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 64 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 64 | can i just replace the fuel pump with the vacuum line with a non vacuum line fuel pump without any problems (other than the wiper function)? if i do use a vacuum style fuel pump (the one with the 2 vacuum hose attachments) can i just cap them off with any problems ? seems like the reg. fuel pump (non vac) is not filling my see through gas line filter. its acting kind of peeyouny. could the cam lobe be flat - does that happen to 235's ? anyway i got one of each fuel pump. if there are no issues with the old style pump i'll use it ! any thoughts ? thanks paul | | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 89 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2010 Posts: 89 | the fuel pump is to get fuel to the carb. the other funtion is to boost the vacum to the wiper motor. so the ? is elec. wipers are the way to go. then the fuel pump is pumping fuel. I am no exprert but is has been my expriance vacum wipers suck. vac.ast. wipers suck.so fuel pumps pump fuel. elec.wiper motors power wipers. there is a reason modern cars have spearated the systems.it is 6 of one,or a half dozen of the other. if you get your vac. wipers to work good let me know. god know i've tried.I dont want to sound like a smart [censored] or know it all. but I converted mine and never looked back. so that is my humble thoughts on the matter.
theres a tool for every job,and that tool is a hammer. it's easy to give advice if it's not your pocket book at stake. A well thought out plan,Is nothing. Untill exacuted twice.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 | I wouldn't trade my vacuum wipers for all the electric ones you could haul on a container ship. Mine have at least 500 speeds vs electric one or two speed or possibly three. They are also intermittent at ANY interval needed. I use a Mercedes diesel 12v vacuum pump ($20 at pic-a-part) mounted under the cab with a vacuum line run up through the factory firewall grommet. I send the motor to Ficken to rebuild and then drive it 30 years trouble free, uphill-downhill, loaded or not, or pulling a loaded trailer they will run at ANY speed I desire. I think the filtered contaminate free vacuum from the pump is better than the engine vacuum which could polute the pump innards when the engine spits back for any reason.
Evan
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | I think y'all are dodging the actual question. paul is asking which one would be better for pumping feul. I don't think it would really make any difference which pump is used. With the preblem described, i would suspect a flat lobe, worn pump arm, or potentially an internal pump issue, such as a bad seal or ruptured diaphragm. Since you have both styles of pump, it won't hurt to try the vacuum assist style and see if it makes any difference. edit, if there is no difference, then there is another issue beyond the pump, such as the mentioned cam lobe, but also potentially something restricting the line from the tank.
Last edited by LONGBOX55; 05/29/2010 4:58 AM.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 89 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2010 Posts: 89 | thank you coilover that is the reason for the forums I did not have any luck with vac. wipers.I am familar with diesel engs. and vac.assist alts. I never thought to marry them up.as I'am old school 6 volt gen. so please post pics and tec info if you please. I'am the new guy,any info is good info,your input will be well recived.did not mean to step on any toes. thanks floyd
theres a tool for every job,and that tool is a hammer. it's easy to give advice if it's not your pocket book at stake. A well thought out plan,Is nothing. Untill exacuted twice.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | If not filling the see through filter is your only problem don't worry about it. For some reason they are all like that. If the vacuum wiper motor is good I would use it. If you have to pull it I would go back with an electric. You can use a vacuum reservoir with it if you want to use the sigle pump.
Last edited by Wrenchbender Ret.; 05/29/2010 8:32 PM.
They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
| |
| |