Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,134 Posts1,056,403 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#65032 08/29/2006 8:01 PM | Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 24 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 24 | Just got my 51, no eng, 3 speed, torque tube rear end.
I've been offered a good running 230 out of a Nova with the 2 speed power glide for $300.
I have a Camaro disk brake rear end that I would like to use to save some money.
I'm not as interested in lighting up the tires as I am with reasonable gas milage, but would still like to do 70-80 mph comfortably.
The question is should I just go ahead and do a 350/350 combo? Buy some donor car for $500 and have all those extra parts?
Thanks Any and all advice is appreciated. | | |
#65033 08/29/2006 8:23 PM | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | well if you wanna run 70-80 comfortably you might want a 350 with the camero rear end.. dont think a 230 would do the trick,, might for a while..
another deal is to remember these are old trucks any you better make sure they are in good shape to run that fast.........
by the way,, you wont need the powerglide.. just send it to me,,just kidding, those are prime things around here........good luck with your project,
welcome to the bolt.. got a good little 52 ready to roll for sale.. its in the for sale section.. Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | |
#65034 08/29/2006 8:45 PM | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | There is no reason in the world that a good 230 wouldn't take you down the road faster than you'd feel comfortable at in an unmodified AD. Don't let anyone fool you, of course those old engines will run. V8's are a dime a dozen. Real trucks have inline engines.  | | |
#65035 08/29/2006 9:31 PM | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | There is no reason in the world that a good 230 wouldn't take you down the road faster than you'd feel comfortable at in an unmodified AD....
well that would be true statement for sure Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | |
#65036 08/29/2006 11:40 PM | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 887 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 887 | There is nothing wrong with your torqey Bolt engine. The obstacles to doing 70-80 MPH comfortably are the rear differential, transmission, shocks, tires, brakes and steering. (stopping and steering at 70-80 are as important as actually going 70-80)
The tried and true formula is radial tires, a T-5, new rear diff, disc brakes, dual master, tube shocks, and upgraded tie rod ends. A powerglide and numerically low rear diff gears would work just fine with those other things. (ie 3.08:1)
Ever drive a JEEP CJ, Wrangler or Cherokee? They've been using the 4.0 liter inline six for 30 years with plenty of success (244 cid). Many of those years involved a t-5. I think a 235 is about 3.85 liters and a 261 is somewhere around 4.3 liters.I've got a '92 cherokee and with the t-5 it is pretty zippy in town, and cruises at 85mph easily.
The nova you got that engine/tranny combo out of was produced when the speed limit on highways was 75 (before it went to 55 under Carter). I have not doubt that you'll have no problem doing 75-80 with the 230/powerglide combo in your AD.
'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
| | |
#65037 08/30/2006 2:15 AM | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | I like the idea of the 230 and the disk brake Camaro diff, especially if you put disks on the front too, but I gotta disagree on the 'Glide. Yes, it's a virtually indestrucable unit, but it only has 2 gears. I think you'ld be happier with a late 700r4, especially for cruising the hyways at 70-80 mph. Save the 'glide for a dirt/drag car.
Bill Burmeister | | |
#65038 08/30/2006 4:41 AM | Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 24 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 24 | Thanks for all of the input Still haven't decided yet but you'all helped put my mind at ease on that combo I'm thinking about. Don't really need to go 80 but it's the flow of the fast traffic around here. Thanks again! | | |
#65039 09/18/2006 7:47 PM | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 141 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 141 | 700R4 with a 3.73 rear axle. At 30% overdrive, you're at 2.61 for cruising. In 1st gear (3.05) you have all sorts of low-end torque. | | |
| |