| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,132 Posts1,056,383 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 13 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 13 | I need to strengthen the rear suspension of my all-original 1941 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup, so I can carry a 1500lb overload (a 7-piece jazz band) in an annual parade, without the rear end sagging. What would be a good way to do this? I'd prefer something I could put on and take off easily, so I'd have a normal ride at other times. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 164 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 164 | how about airbags, most 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with trailers have them. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | At most flaps you can get leaf over loads. your just raise the rear of the truck up and let the rear hang free and clamp them on the springs with provided u bolts. then lower it.
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2000 Posts: 179 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2000 Posts: 179 | This is the helper spring set up on my '40: Helper spring 1 Helper spring 2 Looking at my '41, I think they would fit either '40 or '41. I don't know if they are aftermarket or original but I have seen identical ones on eBay from time to time. Eventually I plan to go to an open differential an eliminate them on the '40. If you have trouble finding something that works well for you, send me a PM via this forum and I may be able to help. Joe
Joe McNeel
http://mcneelnet.com/~jmcneel/59.html
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 13 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 13 | That looks promising. I'll save this and maybe contact you later. Thanks, Bob | | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 1,438 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 1,438 | Hey Bob, I have a Furd rear with wider springs on my '40 so have helper springs mounted under the regular springs. The helper springs are from Helllwig.
I like the setup you have Joe. Nice and clean that way. I don't think I could get the narrow width springs to mate up with mine though. Dang.
40 Chevy 1/2 ton
| | |
| |
| |