| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,118 Posts1,056,304 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 132 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2010 Posts: 132 | I looked and looked. Did I miss it?
I believe my truck has a 1960 235. Is there an oil filter anywhere? Or do I just drain and replace the oil?
How many quarts should it take? What weight does this engine like?
I have my 48-51 shop manual, but I don't think it includes info about this engine.
Thanks, | | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 419 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 419 | I understand your confusion. I have a 1957 235 in the Blue Funk. I was told that oil filters were an option, in those days. A lot of dealers, as I understand, added them on. I believe it was recommended that the oil be changed every thousand miles in those engines.
Someone else, with scads of knowledge and resources will soon chime in. They'll be able to give you info on adding a filter to your engine. OR you can use the search option, for the time being. I'm sure there's all sorts of info there for others who "have been down that road before".
Good luck in your endeavors, Scot. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Scot, If you plan to keep the truck/engine for a while, you might want to get hold of a 1960 Owner's Manual and 1960 Shop Manual (from a production parts vendor or on eBay). The 1960 Chevrolet Truck Owner's Manual has information on oil types. As stated above, an oil filter was not standard equipment. GM sold AC RPO oil filters, Fram was also commonly used, and there were filters made by many other companies (Sears even sold one)). | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | The oil change takes 5 quarts without a filter. 10w40 or 15w40 would be good weights for that engine. If you want to put a filter on it, which is a good idea, it's best to pick up a salvage with mounting U bolts either AC or Fram. You can get a hose kit from one of the specialty suppliers along with decals to detail it. I like Classic Parts kit. It has swivels & connectors. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
| |
| |