The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (1955 1 Series, Barry Martak, 68ironhead, Hotrod Lincoln), 162 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,475
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 56
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 56
I have a 1950 Chevy 3100 Thriftmaster 1/2 ton, which is supposed to have a 216. I looked at the Old Car Manual Project web site - http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/models/engine.htm

but couldn't identify the engine serial number. The engine I have says "DR140622CAL", which is different from the serial number layout on the above site site. Is there any other sources engine serial number searches?

The other interesting fact, is that everyone, including the old timers, has told me that the 1950 216 has babbitt bearings, which I understand to mean that the bearings are integrated into the piston rods and crankshaft main bearings. When I pulled one of the rod bearing caps off it had a bearing insert. I also under stand that the 1950 216 engine was a light blue color like the engine compartment, but the engine is orange. I'm wondering if the engine is a different year? Like I said above, I'd like to track down this engine serial number

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 164
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 164
got any pics?

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 419
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 419
There should be a letter and numbers stamped on the block, right side, to the rear of the distributor that can be deciphered to give you the year your engine was cast.

If I remember correctly, the date code is: A=Jan, B=Feb, and so on. The next number is the day of the month the block was cast. The last number is the year it was cast. For example, my engine says F 3 7, which means it was cast June 3, 1957. I found out the decade by matching the numbers stamped on the intake manifold to a list noting the year they were made. There's one that says GM (folllowed by numbers). That's not it. The other one says "something like" 383etc. etc. etc. That's the one. So, since my number said the manifold was cast between 1956 and 1962, I knew the engine was a ninteen FIFTY seven.

Sadly, I don't remember where I got the manifold intake data. But I'm a newbie my own self and I puruse these forums on midnights. The guys who know their business will be awake in a while and will be able to correct my info and/or give you eveything you need to know.

But, if you're awake, and feel like lookin' around, that'll keep you busy for about five minutes.

Oh yeah- use SEARCH just to your left. It's got all sorts of info on past posts. Try something like "engine ID".

Good luck to you, D Winn!


Dave
The Blue Funk: a '51 3100 4 OTF with a '57 235
In the Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

DR140622CAL could be a California code put on a replacement engine?

Here are locations of block and head casting codes (including date casting codes). Post what you find on your engine and someone will help you figure them out.

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 56
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 56
Not sure how, or where, to post pictures. As I mentioned above, the metal tab on the right side of the block, to the left of the distributor says "D R 1 4 0 6 2 2 C A L". I spoke to a friend at church this morning that's been helping me some and he said the engine definitely has insert bearings as opposed to babbitt, which makes him think it's a later replacement engine.

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 56
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 56
Just went out and found the casting numbers, and then checked them on line;

216 inline head casting #: 1950-53 3835517 All 216

216 inline block casting #: 1952-53 3835849 216 Passenger, Truck

Another source fro the block casting #:

52 AKCA. AKCM, BKCA, BKCM, KAA, KAM, KAC, KAP, KBA, KBM, KCA, KCM, KCD, KCQ 3835849

53 ALCC. ALCP, BLCC, BLCP, LAG, LAT, LAJ, LAV, LBA, LBM, LCA, LCM, LCC, LCP, LCD, LCQ, LCH, LCU 3835849

Makes me think it's a 52/53 engine. Where do the prefix letters come into play? Still baffled by the DR140622CAL serial number.

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 506
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 506
D Winn says.... makes me think it's a 52/53 engine.

No need to guess. The block casting date code is on the same side, down where you found the block casting number.

Not the CON 1, the other one.
The last digit is the year.


-Tom

1950 Chevy 3100 w/ 1956 235
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Does your engine have a side cover that stops at the top of the block? If so, look at the passenger side of the head. Is there a bulge in the casting between #5 and #6 spark plugs and also between #1 and #2? If so, it would be the motor that was used between 1950 and 1952, I would think. It would also be low pressure.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 56
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 56
Here's a reply I received concerning the serial number, which I received from another forum where I asked this same question.

Yes your "DR " number is a asigned ID number. Many years ago many states used both engine and chassis ID numbers on titles. So you got a GM new replacement or reman engine you had to go down to the DMV and get it inspected and the title corrected. Dad replaced the engine in our 41 Chevy in 51 and down to DMV we went. Most car makers stopped using engine IDs towards the late 50s and states started using just the chassis ID on title.

I'm pretty well convinced that the the 50 truck has a 52/53 216 engine. When getting parts I'll probably treat it as a 52 or 53 engine. I will go look for the casting date code.

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 56
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 56
What would the casting date look like and where would it be in relation to the casting code? Above the block casting code, which is "3835849", I see a "GM 3". May have to clean off some more crude!

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
3835849 is a 1952 or 53 216 block.

The locations of date casting codes are at the link in my post above.

Casting codes on a high-pressure stovebolt engine.

Casting codes on a low-pressure stovebolt engine.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0