The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (klhansen, 1 invisible), 88 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,126
Posts1,056,356
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#646644 05/15/2010 5:06 AM
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 18
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 18
Found some newer (2001) 6 lug aluminum rims to put on my '66 c10 and when I went to put them on turns out the original lugs are to short for the rims (also don't have the proper lug nuts for the caps with the external threads). First time down this road for me and I didn't see this coming. I can't find longer 7/16-20 lugs with nuts that have the external threads. What I am wondering is, if I switch over to longer metric lugs (12mm) will they fit as a drop in replacement? What other surprises might I be in for? No point in re-inventing the wheel so to speak as I figure someone has already solved this one, but I was stiking out searching the forums. Thanks in advance for the help.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
You're going to find that those wheels will not work. The backspacing is too deep, and they will rub. If you want to go with later model wheels, you really can't go any newer that '87.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,811
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,811
You're not going to find inch-thread lug nuts with the external threads on them, so switching to metrics will be the only viable solution. No, you probably won't find a drop-in replacement stud. One possiblity would be to use chrome acorn-type lug nuts intended for mag wheels with the shoulder that sticks through the hole, and forget about the decorative nut covers. You might have to open up the holes in the wheel a little, but it would be better than changing 24 wheel studs.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
You're not going to find inch-thread lug nuts with the external threads on them
Jerry, that's not 100% true. I'm not sure who makes them, but they are available in a 1/2"-20 thread. They do have a 7/8" hex, and use the larger full size truck lug caps. I have a set on mine, found them at a swap meet from the same vendor I got my '94-'98 style center caps I'm using.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 18
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 18
thanks guys - regardless of the lug issue it sounds like the wheels will rub - is there any kind of spacer that can be used?

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Not without using very long wheel studs. I'm personally not a fan of spacers, epscially when you get into ones thick enough to amke up for that much backspace change. Best bet is to get wheels that fit the application properly.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,811
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,811
Hmmmm- - - -good to know, but I'm pretty sure they aren't factory stock, right?
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I don't know fo any factory application that they might be from. It was kind of a lucky find deal. I seem to recall someone told me once that the Astro vans used them, but I've never seen one one with that exact nut.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 18
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 18
I agree best to get the wheels that fit the application...you guys saved me much time, money and heart ache on this one. Time to sell the wheels and find some others. Thanks


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0