The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (cmayna, tclederman, 1 invisible), 121 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
Please check the link below. Anyone have anything pro/ con to say about this product? Thanks for your input.

http://www.autorefinishdevilbiss.com/docs/serv_bull/HAR-602%20(SB-6-180-A).pdf

http://www.google.com/products/cata...;resnum=3&ved=0CC4Q8wIwAg#ps-sellers

Last edited by Hankdogg; 05/11/2010 12:14 AM. Reason: can't type

1951 restoration on website
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.hanklong.com
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
You just can't get air too clean and too dry. I have 3 compressors that feed into one of these for the shop air. http://www.google.com/products/cata...;resnum=4&ved=0CD8Q8wIwAw#ps-sellers

And then I have one of these for the paint gun.

http://yhst-13811118617756.stores.yahoo.net/dev-dad500.html?productid=dev-dad500&channelid=BCOME

A desiccant dryer is the best for final drying before the spray gun. I use the same system for a plasma cutter and it is almost unbelievable how much it extends the life of the consumables.

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 295
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 295
Painting and other work requires water removal. All methods mentioned here are good
BUT
Why not use a water cooled aftercooler and preheat your hot water? About 50% of compressor input power is wasted as heat.
You can have a water separator to dump the water or let it drop out in the receiver (drain OFTEN) and then go with smaller refrigeration dryer or desicant BOTH of which use power to operate.
Dan Bentler

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
Thanks for the info. and suggestions guys. Lookin' to go a little cheaper than what you have suggested, the product I am looking at is less than $150.00. I wish to put the money in the truck where ever possible.


1951 restoration on website
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.hanklong.com
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 428
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 428
Hank,
I was probably in the same boat as you a few years ago when I started painting. Like the others say, ya can't have clean enough air, especially with the newer urethane paints that seem to fisheye on ya if you look at it wrong.
I too didn't want to spend a couple grand on air treatment for a little hobby spraying on the side, so after a lot of trial and error, (more error really), I'm finally able to get pretty consistent results. I ran a little over 50' of 1/2" copper out of my compressor with two drop legs with ball valves towards the end of the run. I then ran a filter just like what you're considering, only mine was from Sharpe. At the gun I run one of those Devilbiss whirlwind ball filters. I tried it without the final filter but had mixed results, they really do seem to help, especially with removing those last remaining oil particles, which is the big problem. I replace the ball filter pretty regularly, they're cheap enough, and drain everything else daily if I'm using it. One last thought is to make sure the air hose you use for painting is clean. I keep a separate one just for painting, and before using it for the first time, I flushed it with denatured alcohol to make sure it was clean. Don't know if it's recommended to do that, but I figured there could be contaminants in the hose from manufacturing.
It sounds like a lot of work, but when you're spending $300-$400 a gallon for paint, boo boo's get expensive.

Bob

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
Thanks Bob, I like the little ball filters as well. Local Northern tool has the Sharpe filter simular to this one and you have used it with good results. One of my guns from back in the day is a Sharpe product as well. Always liked the end result it gave me. I will keep that in mind, just a little more partial to Devilbiss.
Hank


1951 restoration on website
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.hanklong.com

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0