| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
4 members (Tiny, Otto Skorzeny, 2 invisible),
111
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,142 Posts1,056,476 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 122 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 122 | What are the suggestions on making door removal from a 57 into a one man job? Unfortunately my garage is finished, so throwing a rope or something over the rafters is not an option. I have been thinking maybe using an engine hoist, since I can pick one for about $100 at Harbor Freight. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | shouldn't need mechanical aids - open the door - block up under it so it can't flop down - remove bolts from the door side of the hinges - lift and slide it off the hinges, drop it on yer toes if you can't lift the complete door, remove the glass first, if it's still too heavy for ya, hire some help  Bill | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 122 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 122 | Bill, Thanks! Now I have an extra $100 to actually spend ON my truck!
Guess I just realized what they mean by not being able to see the forest through the trees.... Makes sense. For some reason I was envisioning this being a big awkward ordeal that will require a lot of mechanical assistance. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 | I know this probably wont help but you could always try this! Sorry...I couldn't resist.  Bill's right though,you should be able to lift them off yourself as long as you're careful. Good luck,and watch those toes! 1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in ScotlandIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pix on Flickr. I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 194 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 194 | I have removed a number of doors by putting a 2x4 on a floor jack under the open door. Then remove the bolts and steady the door as you lower it. Saves the toes, that door is heavier than you think. Reverse the process to reinstall. good luck
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 493 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 493 | stud finder, rafter, eyebolt, rope. | | |
| |
| |