The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 125 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,425
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#643513 05/04/2010 9:27 PM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
I am going on a trip in my 49 in two weeks. There will be days as short as 100 miles and days as long as 400 miles. 10 days total trip time.
My truck is a stock running gear 1949 3600. it has a 1952 216(only the engineand carb are not from 1949) with 4 speed, 4.57 rear end. I have a fram oil filter and a radiator condenser tank. Carter w-1 carb(1948 model) with an oil bath air cleaner.

spark plugs are gapped at .035
points at .018(dwell meter reads 29 at idle)
valves
.010 intake
.020 exhaust

planning on running 4 qts of rotella sae30 and 2 qts of 15w40 for the trip.

30w in air cleaner

80w90 in tranny and rear end

engine compression test shows 110 in all cylinders

anything look out of the ordinary, think of anything I should change? I figured the valves should be gapped at .010 and .020 because of the high mileage days cruising at 45-50mph.

Thanks all.




Last edited by Yelostn78; 05/04/2010 9:28 PM.



1949 Chevy 4400 Big Red
1949 Chevy 3600 Bob's Truck
1949 Chevy 3100 The Investment
1949 Chevy 3800 the Won Ton

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Hi neighbor. Do you have some real tall tires on there? It's going to be a pretty slow trip with those old gear ratio's. Everything sounds good except I don't think I would run that wide gap on the valves. The stock setting is made to compensate for any conditions. Have you checked all the wheel brgs. & repacked the front ones? Have a good safe trip. Sounds like fun.
George


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
We are carrying board games for the slow drives. Not an issue though. We know it will be slow going. Thanks for the input on the valves, I am still debating leaving them at that gap. Front wheel bearings are 5k miles old and were adjusted 800+/- miles ago to 33ft lbs. Good catch though, I did not list that. U joints are also 5k miles old.




1949 Chevy 4400 Big Red
1949 Chevy 3600 Bob's Truck
1949 Chevy 3100 The Investment
1949 Chevy 3800 the Won Ton

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
one thing to add- 7.00x15 tires, 30" outer radius of tires.




1949 Chevy 4400 Big Red
1949 Chevy 3600 Bob's Truck
1949 Chevy 3100 The Investment
1949 Chevy 3800 the Won Ton

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 41
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 41
a spare set of points and condensor in the glove box wouldnt hurt
suspension and steering lubed,tire presure checked. how about window cleaner and a roll of paper towels,also rainex on the windows


55 stepside 3600
67 chevelle ss conv
joe
springfield,PA
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
joebob, got that stuff already- except I am waiting to coat the windows until the day before we leave.

What is the benfit of having the valves gapped at say .007 and .014 vs the .010 and .020?

that is what I am more curious about. I understand these trucks were made to run. But here is my thought train.

curb weight of the truck is
3595lbs

two passengers
550lbs

2 5 gallon cans(1 gas, 1 water)
80lbs

toolbox
50lbs

luggage
60lbs

jack
20lbs

=4355lbs give or take for extra junk.

most of the time we will be on rolling hills 70-80'F

but there are mountatins for 4-5 days of the trip with two set of steep crossings.

My thought is to leave them at .010 and .020 to leave them plenty of room to handle the extended heat from 400 mile days and climbg over mountains.

would .008 and .015 be better and why?




1949 Chevy 4400 Big Red
1949 Chevy 3600 Bob's Truck
1949 Chevy 3100 The Investment
1949 Chevy 3800 the Won Ton

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 160
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 160


8 and 16 warmed up and running

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
well, I decided to switch to 8 and 15 for the adjustment. Also put in fresh oil and filter. If I think it needs adjusting I will. I think it will be good for the trip. Did I mention that solid lifter like to chatter?




1949 Chevy 4400 Big Red
1949 Chevy 3600 Bob's Truck
1949 Chevy 3100 The Investment
1949 Chevy 3800 the Won Ton

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
I would set the valves, not to the heavy duty specs. When you are on the highway, the engine isn't going to get too-hot. I would suspect that if you were hauling heavy loads, in the city, that it would be recommended.

Your list looks good, although I wouldn't bother to take so much extra fuel, or water, a gallon of each should be enough. BUT, you know your truck best, how the fuel gauge works, etcetera. Last summer, I drove my Pontiac up and over the rockies and back, 1700 miles. I took more oil than that, as I know it uses a bit. -The engine hasn't been rebuilt ever. It doesn't use much more oil that the shop manual figures though.
Sounds like a great time. I might through a few plug wires in the tool box, couple of spark plugs, spare fuel filter, shop manual.

Again, it sounds like lotsa fun. My trip last summer was so much fun, we camped along the way, and only met a few jerks on the road. There are always a few people you meet, that are mad as wet hens, if you are going 50, and the speed limit is 55. I'm sure you've met them already. I find, in order of frequency, they drive: BMW's, Audis, VW Jettas, Mercedes, and caddi SUV's. Oh, and some semi- trucks, at least that's what I've found.

Have fun!!!!


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Mr. Lang,
I kind of came to the conclusion of moving off of the heavy duty specs to 8 and 15. which is close- but it breathes a little better I think(smaller the gap, the more distance and time the valves are open)
I have a whole list of stuff in greasy spoon of spares-
My thoughts for the extra water is in case I am in the middle of nowhere wyoming and need to limp along. The fuel is just to be on the safe side. I figure I will never touch either except to cuss them when loading and unloading stuff in the truck bed.

I have noticed since the valve adjustment that the truck does not come back to idle as easy- so I have some investigating to do- Maybe throttle linkage needs lube? or carbset to rich for valve settings?(which I doubt because I can make it go away by blipping the throttle or wiggling the throttle cable.




1949 Chevy 4400 Big Red
1949 Chevy 3600 Bob's Truck
1949 Chevy 3100 The Investment
1949 Chevy 3800 the Won Ton

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 46
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 46
One more thing to add to your kit:

Groucho Marx novelty glasses

Put them on just before you get to a passing lane. It really freaks out the jerks that have been riding your [censored] for miles. They simply can't resist casting a dirty look as they go around you.

When my kids were small, we vacationed in a VW Westphalia Diesel (1984 non-turbo). After several years of meeting angry glares with Groucho glasses (and teeth bared around a big unlit cigar), the kids came up with their own hand-painted bumper sticker: "If you can't go fast - Go fun!"


-=JD=-
Motohack
"Hand me that BIG hammer"
1941 Chevrolet 4408
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
I like the groucho idea. I usually just wave and smile with a big grin and wave like they are a long lost best friend. That gets two responses generally, More anger, or a smile.




1949 Chevy 4400 Big Red
1949 Chevy 3600 Bob's Truck
1949 Chevy 3100 The Investment
1949 Chevy 3800 the Won Ton

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
That is great! those are the glasses for me.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0