The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Gdads51, 68ironhead, Peggy M), 94 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,302
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#64382 08/15/2006 10:47 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 71
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 71
I have a failed diaphram (I think) in a 270 11.5" clutch. It has stiffened up and will only just disengage with a short,heavy action instead of a smooth,light,progressive one. It's not slipping. Is this all typical of diaphram failure?

I have a NOS diaphram; a military workshop manual I have,shows a jig for assembling the pressure plate. How necessary are these? Looking at another old p/plate, it looks as if it could all be done by hand.

Is there any problem with this?

Thanks

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 71
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 71
No-one had any experience with this?

:confused:

Thanks

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Are the fingers even all the way around? Sometimes one of the springs in the disc fall out & lodge in the pressure plate or something breaks inside letting one side come out furthure than the other. I don,t think anyone fixes one themselves anymore. You can exhange it for a rebuilt one but most of them know are sold new.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 71
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 71
Thanks Wrenchbender.

The fingers are uneven - maybe 1/8" variation but there are no broken parts. The pressure plate that was fitted previously was worse & I replaced it with this one which visually looked good but I guess had been pulled out years ago for the same reason.

The only person I've found with first-hand experience of these military clutches failing, is an old farmer who drove one for years carting cattle. He described similar symptoms - gradual stiffening etc & eventually a finger or two breaking.

I probably should give it all to a reconditioner; I don't think the 11.5" pressure plates are available over here new.

Thanks again.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0