Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Gray_Ghost, Joe W),
211
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,231 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 693 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 693 | Hello,
I am restoring a '56 3100 and have gotten to the point of preparing the bed. I was talking to a local restorer who has a sweet '57 Cameo that looks like its fresh from the showroom floor. The wooden bed on this truck was wet sanded so smooth that it looks like plastic, then finished with a glossy black paint. I want to prepare my bed to be as stock, so what is the correct color and finish. The restorer said black is correct, but he admitted that did go overboard on the sanding. So what is correct?
Thank you! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 127 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 127 | He is correct,but I would use a black stain it will last longer than paint,and not peal. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 | I just finished my bed wood on my 55.2 3100 stepside. The color from the factory was black, but I do not know if it was glossy.
I used POR15 and then top coated it with POR Blackcoat. It turned out pretty good. My biggest problem was the pors in the white oak. I would lay down a nice smooth coat of POR15 and come back in 20 minutes only to find hundreds of little bubbles. I just kept sanding and re coating until they were gone. It was a pain in the butt! I then top coated the boards with POR Blackcoat which is glossy. I sanded in between coats to get it as smooth as possible. There are a few brush marks here and there and minor imperfections but I can live with it. I just wish I had filled the pors in the wood first (though I do not know how well POR15 would adhere to wood filler) or started with a species that doesn't have so many pors in it to begin with.
In the end I feel like I will have bed wood that will be strong and durable. I will post some picks later. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 693 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 693 | thanks! so black it is... I'll think about the paint/stain/POR issue some more. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 | I am installing my wood this weekend on my 57 Chevy. Can someone please tell me what pieces of wood go where? I have an idea...does anyone have pics of completed wood beds? Seems like it can go in different ways from some of the photos I have seen. Thanks
Last edited by UnklRod; 05/02/2010 9:25 AM.
1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton TruckIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pixThe coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you! If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!! | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 95 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 95 | "The color from the factory was black, but I do not know if it was glossy".
My truck is a later truck but I'm guessing they were all finished the same. Semi-gloss black is more accurate, although the gloss can be brought up a bit with polishing. check the bed pics on the gallery link and hit zoom for better detail. This is original factory paint, not restored. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 | What grit sandpaper do you all use on the bed after putting the stain on?
Thanks! 1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton TruckIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pixThe coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you! If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 | You should sand the wood before you put the stain on. On planed wood I would start out with 100 grit , followed by 150, and then if you want a very smooth finish hit it with 220 grit. You would then stain, followed by whatever top coat you are going to use. You would now sand with 220 grit between coats if you are using some form of polyurethane. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 | Hi coach, Yes I am using 220 grit to sand before stain. I am using Minwax golden oak. I am also using Minwx pre-stain. I hear I should also seal the wood after I am done with a high UV. What would be a good product for that? The truck will not be in the sun much at all after the restoration is done.
Thanks!
Jon 1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton TruckIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pixThe coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you! If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 | Hi Jon, I used Helmsman Spar Urethane, 7 coats. I sanded with 220 grit between coats. My bed is made of cherry and purpleheart wood. It has beeen on now for 2 years and is holding up great. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 | Thank you coach, I will give that product a go. Great looking truck and Nova! You have done amazing work on the truck. I hope mine will turn out as nice.
Last edited by UnklRod; 05/05/2010 8:32 PM.
1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton TruckIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pixThe coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you! If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 | Thanks, Jon. It was a great father, son project! We took it slow and learned while we built it! | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 | Like to hear stories like that. I wish I could have done that with my father. He got the truck when it was new. He passed away in 2007. I never bothered to ask him questions about it. Get details from him.
Last edited by UnklRod; 05/06/2010 2:39 PM.
1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton TruckIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pixThe coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you! If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!! | | |
| |