| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (moparguy),
98
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,129 Posts1,056,360 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 163 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 163 | Years ago I saw an article for an emergency brake kit that you could install on your drive shaft. A brake caliper bolted on the drive shaft. The cable from the caliper was connected to your emergency brake handle in the vehicle and this operated the caliper. Has anyone any information if they still make this kit and if so, where can they be located. (email address, phone, etc.)
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | They are somewhat popular with the 4X4 crowd, and can be had to fit the back of a number of different transfercases. What do you want one to fit? Many AD Chevy big trucks came standard with driveline parking brakes. perhaps you want a 4 speed with one already on it? For my project I needed to make my own, here's what I came up with. http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2121884060080251109yYWDmBEven used the original parking brake lever. Grigg | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | There is a kt out there but i can't find the catalog it is in. i think it had something to to do with Cadillac. my memory tells me the catalog came form a co. in the south. i thought it was at CCP.
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 163 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 163 | I have a 54 Chevy with a 700R4 tranny and a mid-80's rear. I may be better off going to the junk yard and getting the guts to fit a Chevy rear drum brake. My rear brakes do not have the parking brake parts in the hubs. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 | I think you are talking about TSM in Colorado. They have made pinion (driveshaft) mount e-brakes for years. Just google "TSM pinion brake" and it will give you their site.
Evan
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | A warning, from what i gathered from a program that is not exactly bolt on. there has to be some leveling of the yoke to make it sit square. good luck. and let us know how it goes.
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 273 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 273 | Don't know if this will help, but my ol' man had a '49 Pontiac sedan and a '53 Chevy sedan with that kind of setup.
There was a large drum on the driveshaft behind the transmission, with some kind of external brake shoes that wrapped around it. I don't know how many years GM had it, but his '57 Pontiac had a "normal" rear brake drum setup.
Maybe try and find an old basket-case Pontiac or Chevy sedan, and see if the parts will fit on an AD truck.
Just a thought.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 163 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 163 | Through my research and this site, I decided to get the parts from another 80's Nova and replace in mine. This seems better and cheaper also. Thanks. | | |
| |
| |