| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,086 Posts1,056,331 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 74 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 74 | I am so frustrated. Sorry for posting this here but i am out of ideas and I really need help! After two days of trying to figure out what is wrong with the brakes on my 46 stylemaster I have just about had it. Bought NOS Wagner wheel cylinders to replace the leaking ones. Well the fronts went in and adjusted just fine but the rears are fighting me. Basically, The old brakes were adjusted fine. As soon as I took off the spring to slide away the shoes to get the wheel cylinder out my problems began. Put the new wheel cylinders in and I have a tremendous gap between the pads. I tried hammering the pads, squeezing them together and they just refuse. If you bang one side closer the other side just moves further away. The E-brake cable is loose... I tried extending the posts out on the wheel cylinders to accommodate the space between the shoes but the pads are out so far I can't get the drums on. WTF happened? Here's some pics. Tried turn that essentric bolt... did nothing.... PLEASE HELP! http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/46Stylemaster009.jpghttp://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/46Stylemaster010.jpg
Last edited by Danspeed1; 04/30/2010 8:00 PM.
1946 Chevy Stylemaster Sedan - 216 6 Cylinder 1971 Chevelle SS 1995 Monte Carlo Z34 2005 Corvette Z51
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | Hard to see in the pictures but did the E-brake crossbar slip out of position? That's a common hold up on newer brakes. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | The most likely thing is the emergency cable is stuck & not going back. Try prying back on the lever that the cable hooks to. You dont have much lining left there. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy Danspeed1, I agree with Wrenchbender Ret. it looks like the emergency brake lever is well out from behind the shoe it is hinged to, and the spring on the relay rod to the other shoe appears to be fully compressed. The only other thing I can think of is, have either one of shoes slipped behind the edge of the backing plate, try lifting them away from the backing plate and see if they move closer togethr then, hope that helps. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 74 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 74 | Thanks for the tips guys,
I pryed on the ebrake lever and it did take up some of the space between the wheel cylinder. I also moved that eccentric bolt and it did move the pads a little closer yet. Then I turned out the bolts on the wheel cylinder out to adjust the pads. Seems like the bolts are pretty far out now to adjust the pads, but then a again my brake lining is kind of low. Thanks for the help,
Dan
1946 Chevy Stylemaster Sedan - 216 6 Cylinder 1971 Chevelle SS 1995 Monte Carlo Z34 2005 Corvette Z51
| | |
| |
| |