The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
10 members (TexasJim50, Jay R, TUTS 59, Hotrod Lincoln, Forty9, cmayna, Lostbuthaulinass, Woogeroo, Peggy M, 1 invisible), 89 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,411
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#642189 04/30/2010 4:53 PM
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 118
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 118
I have a 52 burb with after market turn signals. The front turn signals work, I have parking lights and headlights and the rear brake lights work but the rear turn signals do not work, any suggestions on where to check. The rear bulbs look fine.Think the problem could be in the turn signal unit itself on the column, its an old one I think it says 700 on it with green indicator lights for front and rear signals. Thanks

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 237
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 237
Brian, You have a Signal Stat unit. First thing I would do is pull the bulbs, clean up the bases and the sockets then put a test ligh on the terminals and see if you get a light. If not start at the unit itself and see if you get a light there. Check each wire to each bulb.

If the unit is OK change all the rear wiring, it probably needs it anyway wspecially if it is the old cloth covered wiring.

Ibelive there is a tech article on signal stat units in Tech Tips,if not google it and you will find out what you need.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 118
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 118
Thanks, I'll try all you suggested.The rear lights are newer but the wiring is not. I have to locate where it is run on the burb.It has barn doors and I am having trouble finding it where it comes through, do you think it ran up above or through the side? Thanks again!

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
The wires to the rear lights run along the frame and then enter the body at the rear. (On my '54 GMC Burb.)


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
If the brake lights work your lights are ok. You need to see if the stop lights are wired through the turn switch. If the turn switch has 4 wires it is not capable of handleing the turn signals through the stop lights, & will need extra lights in the rear. If it has 7 wires the stop lights should be wired to it. You will need to take a test light & trace the circuit.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 118
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 118
After researching a bit, I've been told my turn signal is a signal stat 700. It doesn't appar to have enough wires to do what I was hoping as far as brake lights and turn signals. It only has 4 or 5 wires. So I guess I'll put the original tail light back on and use the older after market turn signals.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0