The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Robert Crandall, Bill Hanlon, TGP), 150 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,228
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#641235 04/27/2010 2:01 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,181
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,181
The painter called me to come over and approve and sign off on the wet sand job he did. Never having seen what that's like, I was some impressed of how glass smooth the process makes the primer.

It's hard to beleave that simple water and fine grit paper can product such a smooth finish


1960 GMC 305A V-6 Gallery Page
Remember, the government cannot give --anything to anyone --that they have not first taken away from someone else.
BUY AMERICAN http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/index.html
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 41
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 41
its the elbow grease that makes it smooth


55 stepside 3600
67 chevelle ss conv
joe
springfield,PA
joebob #641473 04/28/2010 7:25 AM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Jake, it should make for a really nice top finish.
As you are no doubt aware,your paint job is only as good as the prep.


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
Yup, what jock said..the base makes the final job.
Sounds like you have a painter that knows his stuff and you will love the final finish.
I know it isn't cheap ..but the final outcome is worth it.


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 502
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 502
That's interesting. I'm trying to figure out why he has you approve his work and what the sign off relieves him of. I think it's a nice gesture that he had you come over and look at it, but here's the thing I don't get.
He's a pro and he ask you, a novice, to approve his work.
What are you suppose to do, look at it and tell him it's okay to shoot with paint.
If it was my truck I'd want to see it before the primer was put on to see the prep work that all that primer has covered up.

Primer covers a lot of things which even an expert eye can't see.
Being a painter I am amazed sometimes when what I see looking good in primer turns out to be not what I thought because primer does not let you see it but the glossy top coat does.
It's hard for me to say a lot, because I know nothing about the condition of your truck and the body work it had to have prior to the prime he asked you to look at.

What does the sign off mean ? Have you spelled out to him what you expect the final product to look like, because if you haven't told him in detail, his idea and your idea of the final product might not be the same.
Here's another thought to consider. When you pick that truck up when he's finished, after you've looked it over, payed for it and bring it home is when your going to start seeing all the flaws that he left in his work.
It is really hard to find the flaws unless you inspect every square foot of that truck, but you'll find them, when you wash or wax it later.

When I painted for someone I sure didn't need their approval during the stages of my work, because I knew the quality of the product I was going to turn out which depends on what the customer expects and is paying me for.

I really question this sign off thing. After the work is completed and you find something you don't like is he going to say,... You approved it, what can I say, sorry bout that.

As a painter I will say it is hard to deliver a product that meets a customers expectations and stay within the quoted price.

If it was a T&M job, I could deliver what ever they wanted, but that means they had to pay for what they wanted, but they still got more than they payed for because I took pride in my work.

Dan


Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it.
101st Screaming Eagles

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0