| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,175 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2008 Posts: 40 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: May 2008 Posts: 40 | I have a 1949 1Ton, Up to what year will the rear gears fit into my stock housing? I had read 1972? I think i have the H072 axle? does that sound right with 5.14 gears. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 874 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 874 | '46 to '72 HO72 and HO52 third members are all interchangeable. Yes, you should have the HO72 with 5.14 in your truck. That is a good looking truck, by the way. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 293 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 293 | I have a 66 Suburban, and twice while at the Auto Parts store, they have asked me if I have a HO72 or HO52 Rear End. I have not been able to find any info to tell the differance, other than I have the 12 Bolt Truck Rear. Could you please briefly tell me the differance between the two, and which one is the 12 bolt?
Also, I have a 4:10 rear gear, and would like to go Higher (3:73, 3:55). In a car 12 Bolt, a 4 Series Carrier will handle 4 and 5 ratio's, and a 3 carrier will handle 3 series gears. Am I correct in saying, that in a truck 12 bolt, you can go as high as 3:73 with the 4 series carrier? Thank you for your help. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | The HO52 and 72 rearends, manufacured by Eaton, are 3/4 and 1 ton only. Your 'Burb won't have either one. The Truck 12 bolt was available in 4.10, 3.73, and 3.08 gears as OE options.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 | The H052 and H072 are 10 hole with the top and bottom hole being 11 5/16" apart and holes at 8 o'clock and 4 o'clock are 11 1/8" apart. They are 3/4 and 1 ton late 46 until 1972. 1/2 ton are 10 hole with top to bottom 9 15/16' and 4 o'clock to 8 o'clock 9 1/4" used from late 46 to 62. This is the bolts of the third member to the banjo housing. The 12 bolt refers to the rear cover. The 12 bolt cover came in 3.40 and 3.07 ratio for half ton and 3.73 and 4.11 for 3/4 ton and came out in about 69. The earlier 3/4 and one ton were offered with 4.11,4.57, 5.14 and 5.83. Half ton were offered in 4.11 and 3.90. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 |
Bill Burmeister | | |
| |
| |