The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (DES57, Peggy M, TooMany2count), 92 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,135
Posts1,056,422
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#63718 08/01/2006 5:33 AM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 34
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 34
My 65 stepside has a valve nock that goes away after a while. I am contemplating pulling the head and reworking it. I may pull it and simply lap the valves and readjust after cleaning.

Can I still purchase springs and keepers if need?
Is this something I should leave as is or should I break it and then fix it.

steve
[email protected]
O BLUE has 99,000 original miles

#63719 08/01/2006 2:33 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
I'm not sure what you call a valve knock, lifter adjustment. Here's a link to adjusting lifters

http://www.centuryperformance.com/valveadjustment.asp

I'd run a compression ceck and leak down check before considering a valve job. The keepers and springs are still available they are the same as a SBC.

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
#63720 08/01/2006 4:44 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 156
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 156
I agree with LGriffin. If You decide the head does need reworking, always, always install new keepers.


"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of
us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"

Lt Gen. Lewis B."Chesty" Puller, USMC

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0