The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (BC59, TexasA&M48Truck, Jays58, KEVINSKI), 106 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,096
Posts1,056,473
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 10
B
B46
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 10
Choke or not, warm temperature or not, the truck is very hard to get started the first time. Takes tons of hard-start fluid and several turn-overs to finally get it started.
Once running, have to tune it with the choke. Throttle cable hasnt been attatched and I don't know where to connect it.
After running for a bit, it will sometimes just cut out dead, not getting any fuel to the carb. After this, it's almost impossible to start.
Why is this happenning? Would it help if I had the throttle hooked up? What would that allow me to do that I can't do now?

Thank you!


Brandon

1988 4Runner: SR5 ~ 3.0 ~ 5-Speed ~ No Sway Bar ~ 3-Point Rear Seatbelts ~ KC Daylighters ~ EGR By-Pass

1946 Stovebolt: Rebuilt 216 ~ 6V ~ All Stock

Extras: Stuff for my signature that just wouldn't fit.
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
Check to make sure the fuel line is open from the fuel pump to the tank. Make sure the tank is clean and the pickup tube is okay. Yours may flow out the bottom of the tank.

Make sure the fuel pump is good. And make sure the line from the fuel pump to the carb is open.

Inspect any rubber lines for cracks that would let the pump suck air.

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 10
B
B46
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 10
How do I check if the fuel pump is 100% okay? It still will let the truck run for quite some time.

And where would be the location of the throttle hook-up?


Brandon

1988 4Runner: SR5 ~ 3.0 ~ 5-Speed ~ No Sway Bar ~ 3-Point Rear Seatbelts ~ KC Daylighters ~ EGR By-Pass

1946 Stovebolt: Rebuilt 216 ~ 6V ~ All Stock

Extras: Stuff for my signature that just wouldn't fit.
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 10
B
B46
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 10
I think I might have figured out the sudden stalling. I run the truck with only a gallon or two of gas at a time. The gas leaves the tank on the passenger side. I just went out and looked at the truck, its on a sideways incline on the driver's side. I looked at the glass shut-off valve leaving the tank, showing it doesn't have gas. So I think my problem is not having enough gas.

I think I'll add a second shut-off valve on the driver's side and connect the two valves to the main line with a Y-connector. I don't see why this won't work.

Opinions please? Thank you.


Brandon

1988 4Runner: SR5 ~ 3.0 ~ 5-Speed ~ No Sway Bar ~ 3-Point Rear Seatbelts ~ KC Daylighters ~ EGR By-Pass

1946 Stovebolt: Rebuilt 216 ~ 6V ~ All Stock

Extras: Stuff for my signature that just wouldn't fit.
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
Sounds like you are on the right track. Can't hurt to try more fuel and see if it will reach the pump.

Good luck.

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 10
B
B46
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 10
I love a fully charged 6V and plenty of fuel. My Yota takes at least 2 cranks to start for the first time each day. I walked out to the 46, pumped the gas three times, pushed the starter and it fired right up on the first crank. Didn't even need to touch the choke, just gave it a bit of gas to keep it running.


Brandon

1988 4Runner: SR5 ~ 3.0 ~ 5-Speed ~ No Sway Bar ~ 3-Point Rear Seatbelts ~ KC Daylighters ~ EGR By-Pass

1946 Stovebolt: Rebuilt 216 ~ 6V ~ All Stock

Extras: Stuff for my signature that just wouldn't fit.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0