| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (TUTS 59, 1 invisible),
89
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,134 Posts1,056,402 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 98 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 98 | Excactly how is the radiator support mounted on my truck? Someone "modified mine long before I bought the truck so I have nothing to show me the original mount. Doesnt seem logical that its hard mounted to the front cross member does it? Any and all help appreciated. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 112 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 112 | John, I rummaged through my bookshelf of factory assembly manuals. I found a reference to the radiator core support I "think" might apply to your cab over truck. This is a 1947-1954 Chevrolet manual but chances are good your GMC is the same or very similar.
This page covers 3800 - 4000 - 5000 - 6000 series Chevy big trucks.
Here is a scan from my manual which will give you an idea of what could be needed, least give you an idea of something like yours.
Big image so you can easily see and read.
Part labeled "Support Cushion" is a rubber pad with two bolt holes. Note more than one is needed. Those pads are the same as for small trucks. I found those pads on the web at several places selling classic truck parts. Small trucks have two supports like in my image, big trucks only have one support. Nonetheless, those rubber pads are the same.
Maybe this will point you in the right direction. Let us know how you do on this.
Billyray
Last edited by 69Cuda; 05/19/2020 9:08 PM. Reason: removed link that contained objectional material, not related to post.
1948 GMC 3 Ton Flatbed 1952 Chevy 1/2 Ton Panel 1956 Chevy 3/4 Ton NAPCO
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 98 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 98 | Thankyou Billy Ray. Mines a bit different in that my mounting boltholes on the cross member are transverse to the truck main frame rails. But I suspect the cushion set up is most likely the same. According to some archive discussions the stacked shims help set up hood and fender alignment. I`ll make and stack a few extra on so I can remove as needed later. Thankyou for your reply. John Drabik | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 93 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 93 | I just dismounted my 1947 2-ton truck core. All it had was 1/4 rubber piece on top and bottem of the frame support with a metal backing plate for the bolt side. Mine didn't have any shims on it. My rubbers were about shot so I'm going to cut mine out of the side wall of an old tire. If you cut the right tire at the right spot you get a nice 1/4in piece. Already made my cab mounts that way... Recycling at it's finest. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 112 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 112 | 1947farmer quips, "My rubbers were about shot so I'm going to cut mine out of the side wall of an old tire."
A lot of jokes could come out of that!
1947farmer adds, "If you cut the right tire at the right spot you get a nice 1/4in piece."
Just stay away from those darn steel belted radials. Cutting through those is harder than pulling eye teeth!
1947farmer closes, "Already made my cab mounts that way...Recycling at it's finest."
You betcha! Saves money! I found front motor mount cushions for pre-1958 inline sixes make for good all around use. Large diameter, thick, big hole through the middle, perfect for imaginative engineering. Cab cushions and bed cushions would probably work for John's radiator support needs; right size, right thickness.
Farmer, if you can get your hands on these, old go-kart slicks are great for slicing and dicing.
Billyray
1948 GMC 3 Ton Flatbed 1952 Chevy 1/2 Ton Panel 1956 Chevy 3/4 Ton NAPCO
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 98 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 98 | I went with a half inch of sidewall from a truck tire between the radiator frame and the cross member. And a half inch of the same on the cross member underside. Not to "original" but a whole lot better then the previous cobbed together job. Thanks to all who replied. | | |
| |
| |