The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (68ironhead, Peggy M, Jon G, Shade Baby), 106 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,117
Posts1,056,298
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 71
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 71
Looking for a little direction here please.

I am rebuilding a '54 Chevy truck, first time ever working on cars. I noticed that there is an inline fuse from the ignition that I assume goes to the lights?! Anyway, I bought some 20 amp fuses but they keep popping out. Looks like either the fuses are too long or I might need to replace the connectors?

Is there a recommended fuse length? Also, are 20amp fuses the right ones? There looks like there is a separate inline fuse set up to wire to the radio.

Thanks for your help!

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
An inline fuse from the ignition is added. It probably isn't for lights. There is a thermal breaker for them in the switch. You need to trace the wire. It might be going to a heater motor or?


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 71
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 71
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
V
New Guy
New Guy
V Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
Do you know what happened to the original fuse? Well, the best advice I can give is you don't want to put the wrong amp fuse in. The fuse is a safety device that prevents the wires from burning up and messing up whatever the circuit is feeding. So in a nutshell it is the weakest link of the circuit. Is there any indication on the wire (18awg/20awg)? I doubt there will be any markings on the wire, but this is what the size amp fused is based on. Your best bet as cletis stated you might want to trace the wire to see where it goes.


Chevy 1956 3200

"So she said, "either I go or the truck goes!"....Hmm, I wonder what she's doing these days?"

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
V
New Guy
New Guy
V Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
Do you have overdrive? I was looking at a digram today and the fuse looks like it might go to your solenoid relay for the overdrive system. This was off a 1955 3200 so I am not positive if your truck is the same. Good luck!


Chevy 1956 3200

"So she said, "either I go or the truck goes!"....Hmm, I wonder what she's doing these days?"

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
If you are saying that the fuse holder is coming apart, you may have the wrong physical size of fuse. I think there are two lengths of mini fuses. You should feel a positive engagement of the holder and after twisting it should not be possible to pull it apart.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 71
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 71
I appreciate all the insight, I have been away a little while. I will trace the wire and see where it takes me. There were two, one came from the stereo.

I don't have the overdrive, and I recently swapped engines so I know I don't have it now.

I think the fuse might be a little big, but at the same time the two engagements don't "latch" together. It twists, but then does not latch.

Again, thanks for the help. I am feeling my way around this thing. It is a great little project to have and I am really appreciating it.

Cheers,

Carlos


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0