The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (stlcardinalsguy, dunfire, Otto Skorzeny), 110 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,427
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#625207 03/02/2010 7:05 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 30
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 30
My buddy has a '35 tow truck and would like to upgrade the front to later model 8 lug spindles and drum brakes. Will the spindles from a '50s truck work on his stock axle? He is putting a rear axle from a '70s 1 ton in it and would like to have 8 lugs all the way around.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 113
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 113
I'm curious about this as well. My friend is doing a 35 1-1/2 ton and he wants to do the same. I can supply the measurements of the 35 Pins and End of the I-beam. if that would help.

I wonder though if he wouldn't be better off with the P-30 conversion (see tech tips) that would keep the axle rating a lot higher.

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 30
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by KC in NH
I'm curious about this as well. My friend is doing a 35 1-1/2 ton and he wants to do the same. I can supply the measurements of the 35 Pins and End of the I-beam. if that would help.

I wonder though if he wouldn't be better off with the P-30 conversion (see tech tips) that would keep the axle rating a lot higher.

He's trying to keep this as simple as possible and was hoping that a later spindle would work on his axle. We can get the dimensions from his axle, but can't find a '50s 3/4 or 1 ton spindle to measure.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 113
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 113
In that case maybe you could post those measurements. Heck it might even help to post the spindle measurements as well. Then the guys with the later parts would have something to go by. There a bunch of guys here with AD trucks, but I doubt the earlier sizes are common knowledge.

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 30
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 30
The end of the axle that the spindle goes onto is 2 11/16" thick and the king pin is 15/16" diameter.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 113
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 113
I was just at another Chevy site and a guy had a 31-51 king pin set for sale. It said in the ad it was for large trucks. That might speak towards a 51 spindle working on the 35 axle. Here's the link http://vcca.org/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/166745/1931_1951_king_pin_set#Post166745


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0