The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (klhansen, pdlightning, ndkid275), 119 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,139
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 31
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 31
Hey guys-
I'm scoping out a rebuild on this 59 261 block I just dragged home- I can see wear on the camshaft lobes, and I'm expecting to replace the camshaft (not sure what kind/grind yet, still researching) and bearings. However, in looking at the shop manual, I see they used some pretty un-common tools to push the bearings in, then ream them in place for perfect alignment. Is this still done today? Do I need to find a machine shop that can duplicate this process? If not, what are the common tools and proceedure used today? Can I do it myself? Thanks!

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
you need a cam bearing installer, just a slide hammer w/some really neat attachments. you can possibly rent or borrow one but its usually left to the machine shop when they cook/bore/machine the block. brian


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 156
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 156
If You send it to the machine shop ,they would do it. And also You would want it done after the block was dipped. The dipping can eat the new bearing up.


"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of
us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"

Lt Gen. Lewis B."Chesty" Puller, USMC
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 687
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 687
YEA! What they said!


I didn't do it, no one saw me do it, you can't prove anything! "Bart Simpson"

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0