| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,178 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 36 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 36 | Hey guys, I switched my vacuum motor out with a compatible electric motor on my '57 suburban carry all. It seems that the travel of the arms go too far past the curve on the windshield and then hang up. Since then, I thought I've seen someone asking about changing out arms for ones that work with the electric motor. Is this true? Is this why my arms are hanging up? I've tried to adjust them it but it seems like it doesn't make a difference. Can they just be worn? what do I need to do? Please let me know so I can cruise my 'burb into work on rainy days. Thanks, Bongo | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 122 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 122 | Bongo, I do know that the arms are different from a 57 to a 58 or 59. However i just compared the arms from a 58 Vacuum to the ones on my 57 electric and they seem to be the same.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 36 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 36 | | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 90 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 90 | The position of the motor in the mounting bracket may be causing the arms to come to rest at a slightly different position, if you look at the mounting bracket there is a little room to move it in order to center it. The arms themselves can be pooped off and rotated one or two splines to keep it from traveling as far. This will make them move further in their arc on the other direction but between those two adjustments you should be able to get them centered.
Ray | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 | I did the same thing on my 55 2nd. I bought an original motor setup off ebay. I just switched it out with my vacumn motor and wired it up. I haven't had any problem.
What kind of 'compatible motor' did you use?
Dennis -there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 36 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 36 | I'll try the centering method on the mount. I already did the arm trick and it worked for a while but it seemed to get worse after some use. Maybe the mount is loose, I'll check it again. Right now the wiper motor won't even work so I guess I'll pull it and see if it's OK and try it again. If anyone knows how to test the motor, let me know. Thanks, Bongo | | |
| |
| |