Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,134 Posts1,056,401 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 44 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 44 | i am about to install a sbc into my 38 i/2ton pickup with a fat man ifs.would appreciate pictures from anyone who has done same with info on what problems you ran into etc.my build up is at ( www.hotrod.ie)comments appreciated herriot
C MON LETS GO
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I once put a small block in a '41 with the stock front suspension, but that was so long ago (70s) that I don't think I remember anything helpful...
I read your web site and kept wishing for a picture of the '71 'vette that would make me feel okay about parting it out. I've long wanted a '71 or '72 and almost bought one about a year ago. I do have a C4 and have to admit I've though about using the suspension from it in a project, but can't bring myself to part out a car still nice enough to be a daily driver.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 127 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 127 | I put a small block in my 37 with a MII front suspension. Every thing fit well and went pretty good. I did need to use blockhugger headers to clear the steering shaft.
Just because you have a few Craftsman tools, it dosen't mean your a craftsman.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 44 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 44 | old sub dont feel too bad for the 71 vette its going into storage and should get rebuilt in the future i just borrowed the motor and rear axle assembly.WAHOO40 HAVE YOU ANY PHOTOS OF STEERING SHAFT AND WHICH BLOCKHUGGERS DID YOU USE THANKS FOR YOUR HELP CHRIS
Last edited by herriot; 02/17/2010 8:09 PM.
C MON LETS GO
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats | | Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 | Steve,
You have to view everything as a parts donor. Then you dont feel bad about cutting it up. However C4's with wrecked engines, etc. are plentyful.
The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Scott I used to think that way. I remember thinking what a cool collection of pieces my '89 K3500 was and how I would use them if it were ever wrecked.
Then some little chickie texting instead of watching where she was going (if you don't hear anger in that sentence please know it's there!) hit me and totaled that truck.
I kept the salvage, sold off the usable stuff I didn't want for enough to cover my cost, and have some nice parts to use on future projects.
But I mourn the loss of that truck. I'd sure like to have it back. And I basically hate the replacement truck. It was a mistake.
Since then I've been much slower to think of things I like driving as parts cars.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats | | Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 | with the Wife's car currently giving me fits, I am looking at the interior and thinking that I could put it in one of my projects, then blow the rest of it up. I may be getting more cynical in my older age, unless the vehicle has soul and passion (receptical for parts), its just a collection of parts. Now, a 1964 Buick Riviera or a 1968 Cadillac convertible. Those are vehicles with soul that I wouldnt think twice about cutting up a C4 or C5 for parts to work on them.
Herriot, nice truck
The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 44 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 44 | cutting things up depends on how common they are and how easy they are to replace.i have a c5 one of only two in the country so i wont consider cutting it up any way like it too much.c4s could dismantle one of those anytime they must have the most uncomfortable seats ever made.c4s and c5s are rare in ireland due to crazy high taxes on big engines
Last edited by herriot; 02/18/2010 7:23 PM.
C MON LETS GO
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Interesting that you feel the seats in the C4 are uncomfortable, while some guys here replace C5 seats with those from the C4 because of the comfort.
My wife loves the seats in my C4 but I don't believe she has ever been in a C5 or C6 (its possible my Corvette is the only one she has ever sat in). And I've never spent enough time in a newer one to really know those seats like I do the ones in my C4.
Because my wife likes them so well I may use a set of C4 seats in the truck I'm building for her.
I agree that how common and how easy to replace are factors in cutting things up. Part of easy to replace is the financial value represented by the thing. While C4s are still loosing value my C4 driver is still worth too much to part out. If I wanted to use C4 suspension or other parts in a project I'd look for a $1,000 car instead of taking one apart that I have $12,000 into. I know they are out there and since I have too much into mine I'll keep driving it to get the value out of it.
There has been talk in the State of Washington where I live of taxing vehicles based on motor size. The state senator behind that proposal lives just around the corner from me. So far he hasn't gotten much support, but with five motors over 450 cubic inches I don't think of a 350 as big and I'm not a fan of that approach to filling the state treasury.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 44 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 44 | a new c6 in this country is approx 95000 euro in dollars thats about 130000 dollars ,for what i payed for a ten year old car i could have a new c6 in your country also annual road tax is 1500 euro about 2000 dollars ,highway robbery you guys dont know how good you got it
C MON LETS GO
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Wow. A new baseline C6 is about $50,000 US. The Z06 with the 427 is only $70- to $80,000.
I'm not sorry I was born and live in the US.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 44 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 44 | i got the engine mounts ready for welding and there seems to be no problems with the steering linkage,ordered stainless blockhuggers from speedway,in the post
C MON LETS GO
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 44 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 44 | Wow. A new baseline C6 is about $50,000 US. The Z06 with the 427 is only $70- to $80,000.
I'm not sorry I was born and live in theUS. i was born on the wrong side of the atlantic,jim rockford was the man when i was growing up
C MON LETS GO
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 | Wow. A new baseline C6 is about $50,000 US. The Z06 with the 427 is only $70- to $80,000.
I'm not sorry I was born and live in the US. I'm not sure how it is in Ireland Oldsub,but in the UK mainland you have to factor in an import tax of around 40% then the Government want their slice of 17.5% V.A.T.!(Value? added Tax) Oh... I nearly forgot the shipping too. This is the price we pay to own/import an American vehicle. This also applies to any parts etc as well. Kinda sucks........
Last edited by jockbolter50; 04/08/2010 7:31 AM.
1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in ScotlandIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pix on Flickr. I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
| | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 | I think your '38 frame is similar to my '40. I have a M2 front end with power steering / Chevy Saginaw style pump. You will need block hugger headers for clearance. The steering linkage will have 3 or 4 universal joints to make the bends. Might have an issue with motor mount depending on style. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 44 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 44 | britcon v nice truck .purchased blockhuggers from speedway in stainless loads of room with these.and engine mounts from chassis engineering
C MON LETS GO
| | |
| |