| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,268 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 384 | I am rebuilding my steering box and have found the clearance between the top of the head of the lash adjustment screw and the sector shaft to be .006 " and it is supposed to be less than .002 ". So, I figure I need the fat (.069")sector shaft shim to replace my current worn shim. I searched high and low and could find no sources. Does anyone have a good source? As I understand it, the shims come in a kit that contains a few of them of different thicknesses. Does anyone happen to have a .069 left from their kit that they would care to part with? Thanks - Scott
55 1st Chev.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 384 | Having taken a closer look at my shim, I see there is a "5" stamped on it. Maybe the 5 is to differenciate this shim from the rest of the shims that typically come in the shim kit (.063, .065, .067 and .069) .Since it is still .065 thick, I am wondering if it originally was .065 thick and hasn't worn a bit and that all the wear came out of the lash adjustment bolt. Maybe I could just purchase a new lash adjustment bolt and that would take me back into spec. What is your experience? Thanks Again - Scott
55 1st Chev.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Can't help you out with a pn.605142 service shim unit Scott, but I can show you how I solved the problem. If you don't have access to a machine shop you might be able to fine one that can make you up the shims. http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/steering&page=3 Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 384 | Denny, I do have some machine shop access, but how can you be sure of matching the alloy on the old shim? I noticed a file doesn't touch it, so it must be hard. Which part is sacrificial, if any? Is it that picky? I can't tell if the wear has come off the shim or the underside of the lash adjustment bolt. Thanks for your comments. - Scott (Wisconsin)
55 1st Chev.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Yes the shims could be an alloy steel, but what alloy is anybodys guess. It may just be mild steel that was case hardened, they saved a penny anywhere they could get away with it. I used the O1 and hardened the shim after the machine work. There is a picture of the allow tag and heat treating it in the album also. I would suspect that there was some wear on the shim, the screw and the sector. Looking at the gear angle and the size of the thrust contact I doubt if there was an appreciable amount of end thrust on the lash adjuster. My guess is that you could use any number of alloys for the shim and get about the same wear from them. Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 384 | Denny, Unless I discover something else about this, I think I might just get a new lash adjuster and see if that brings the gap down enough. Failing that I will attempt to copy your excellent methods as demonstrated in your album. (Nice record BTW)
Thanks for the help. Scott
55 1st Chev.
| | |
| |
| |